Matchup breakdown: Dissecting all things Pittsburgh-Arizona

While many are predicting a lopsided Super Bowl victory for the Pittsburgh Steelers and their lockdown defense, the upset-minded Arizona Cardinals enter Tampa Bay on Sunday looking to put away its first championship in franchise history. Boasting the league's top-rated defense, the Steelers will take the field against the third-best scoring offense in the NFL, seeking a record-setting sixth Super Bowl title.

The Daily takes a look at key matchups that may determine the sideline on which history is made.

Cardinals wide receivers vs. Steelers secondary: All the hype surrounding Arizona wideout Larry Fitzgerald is completely deserved, as the 25-year-old receiver has made a strong case this postseason for the title of best in the NFL. Fitzgerald has already broken Jerry Rice's record for most receiving yards in one postseason, most recently torching the Philadelphia Eagles for 152 yards and three touchdowns -- all in the first half -- in the NFC Championship game.

While it may be simple for the Steelers to double-team Fitzgerald throughout the game, Anquan Boldin and Steve Breaston, two 1,000-yard receivers, pose looming threats for the Steelers secondary. Look for safety Troy Polamalu to roam free on Sunday, jumping Fitzgerald's crossing patterns to prevent the yards-after-catch that have been a staple of Arizona's passing offense thus far. Twenty of the Cardinals' 28 pass attempts required throws of 10 yards or less against the Eagles two weeks ago, yet quarterback Kurt Warner still threw for 279 yards -- simply put, Arizona's receivers turned the short pass into big gains. With Polamalu lurking on the short route, safety Ryan Clark must be able to help on deep ball, doubling Fitzgerald. Yet, with Boldin on the opposite side of the field running at Clark, the Steelers secondary may have problems, as either Boldin or Fitzgerald will be open in single coverage at all times. Advantage: Cards

Ken Whisenhunt vs. Mike Tomlin: When selecting Bill Cowher's replacement, the executives for the Steelers narrowed it down between Whisenhunt, the then-offensive coordinator, and Tomlin, the then-defensive coordinator of the Minnesota Vikings. As it turns out, either would have been a good choice. Tomlin ultimately landed the job, as Whisenhunt bolted for the Cardinals before Pittsburgh even made a decision -- still, this Super Bowl provides an interesting matchup on the sidelines.

With his experience with current Steelers players like quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, Whisenhunt could very well relay known information to his defense, providing it with a much-needed edge.

Tomlin, though, seems to be coaching the better all-around team. His experience as a coordinator has continued the Pittsburgh tradition of stifling defenses, translating into a 22-10 record over two years with the team. But this is too close to call, given the striking similarities between the two coaches. Advantage: Push

Cardinals offensive line vs. Steelers linebackers: NFL Defensive Player of the Year James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley comprise the best linebacker corps in the entire league, and they will likely factor heavily into the outcome of Sunday's contest. The Cardinals' offensive line, which has aptly kept Warner safe in the pocket thus far, will have to treat the linebackers as extra pass rushers, especially when Harrison (101 tackles, 16 sacks), Woodley (60 tackles, 11.5 sacks) and James Farrior and Lawrence Timmons (aggregate 198 tackles and 8.5 sacks) come blitzing. Even though the Cardinals have efficiently protected their backfield during the playoffs, they have not faced a defense with the power and intelligence of the Steelers, who will constantly blitz Warner throughout the evening. Advantage: Steelers

Adrian Wilson vs. Ben Roethlisberger: An intriguing matchup in the Super Bowl lies in the Steelers' passing game, as it stacks up against the speedy Cardinals secondary -- most notably Wilson, who is one of the hardest hitters in the game. Roethlisberger threw for 3,301 yards and 17 touchdowns this season, but he also hurled 15 interceptions, having been beaten and bruised in the pocket en route to 46 sacks. Roethlisberger's ability to sidestep Wilson and hit his receivers -- most notably Santonio Holmes, who will be matched up against Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie -- could be a difference-maker on Sunday. Roethlisberger, however, has been in this position before, winning in Super Bowl XL, and he knows what it takes to emerge victorious on the big stage. On the other hand, Wilson is appearing in his first postseason, while Rodgers-Cromartie is just a rookie. Advantage: Steelers

Cardinals linebackers vs. Willie Parker: Gerald Hayes, the Cardinals' star linebacker, will be one of the primary players responsible for shadowing "Fast" Willie Parker, a running back capable of breaking the game wide open with one quick burst up the sideline. Against the Seattle Seahawks in Super Bowl XL, Parker took a 75-yard run to pay dirt and certainly has the potential to do the same this time around. Parker has been playing some of his best football lately, posting a 146-yard, two touchdown game in the divisional round against the San Diego Chargers. While he was limited to just 47 yards on the ground in the AFC Championship, it was against the Baltimore Ravens, the second-best defense in the league. Arizona will have to key on Parker in order to keep the Steelers' offense in check, relying on Hayes and fifth-year Karlos Dansby to do so. In all likelihood, the speed of Parker and the reactionary style of Hayes will cancel each other out on Sunday. Advantage: Push

Bruce Springsteen vs. The Super Bowl: In what has been one of the most under-publicized Super Bowls in recent memory, many fans are looking forward to watching "The Boss" serenade Tampa Bay at halftime more than watching the actual football game. The anticipation of seeing Springsteen take the stage is far superior to watching the Cardinals and the Steelers grind it out for 60 minutes. Advantage: Bruce Springsteen (and the E Street Band)