Jumbos snap losing streak, earn road win over non-conference foe Clark

The men's basketball team picked up its first win since a Jan. 8 victory over UMass Boston last night, taking down Clark University on the road, 76-59.
    The game started out poorly for Tufts, as the Cougars jumped out to a 10-0 lead, but the Jumbos quickly came back and brought the score to 10-9. The teams then battled to a 17-17 tie with 9:17 left in the half before Tufts went on a 14-0 run that included three three-pointers (and an old-fashioned three-point play) to take command of the game. The Jumbos went into halftime with a comfortable 37-21 advantage, and while the teams played fairly evenly in the second half, it was clear that Clark had already dug itself into too deep a hole.
    Four Jumbos scored in double digits, led by junior co-captain Jon Pierce with 17, whose career point total of 1,295 is now 10th in Tufts history. Junior Dave Beyel scored 14, while senior co-captain Aaron Gallant and junior Dan Cook each contributed 12. Tufts shot 45 percent from the field while holding the Cougars to just 35.2 percent, including an execrable 1-18 from three-point range.
    The Jumbos will now look to take the momentum from this game into conference road games against Wesleyan and Conn. College this weekend. So far this year, the team is 0-4 in NESCAC competition.