Football | After 21 years, Jumbos defeat Ephs

Coming off of two consecutive losses by a total of three points, the football team needed a win to get back into the race for the NESCAC title. On Sunday, the Jumbos got just that, defeating Williams 17-7 to improve their record to 3-2. It was the first time since 1986 that the Jumbos took down the Ephs, who also move to 3-2 after the loss.

"To me, it's like ancient history," coach Bill Samko said, downplaying the Jumbos' past track record against Williams. "What was important was that we got a win after the last two weeks. They were frustrating games; it's easy to give in to frustration, but we didn't. That's more to me than 20-something years. We had two losses but still came out to compete like that. I'm proud of them."

Tufts' defense was key to its success, surrendering only seven points and 227 yards while also forcing two turnovers. The Ephs, who have averaged over 36 points in their last three games against the Jumbos, had been averaging 30.5 points and 430.8 yards per game this season before they made the trip to Somerville.

Senior tri-captain and linebacker Tyson Reynoso led the Jumbos with 11 tackles, while junior linebacker Alex Perry also had a stellar day, recording eight solo tackles, breaking up a pass and forcing and recovering a fumble. Senior linebacker Ryan Crisco led Tufts with two sacks, while freshman lineman Donnie Simmons also sacked Williams sophomore Patrick Moffitt once.

"I'll give a lot of credit to our defensive line," Reynoso said. "They stepped up real big today. Like last week [against Trinity], [Williams] kind of gave up after trying to rush a few times because we were stopping them. The line played a huge role in that. Our ends and tackles were closing the gaps, so they didn't have anywhere to run."

On the offensive side, Will Forde once again led the Jumbos, tallying 130 yards and a touchdown on 22 carries, while also catching five passes for 36 yards. Forde, who earned NESCAC Offensive Player of the Week honors for his efforts, has rushed for over 100 yards in every game this season, and with 655 on the year, he has more than tripled his total from last season (199).

Junior Anthony Fucillo lead the team efficiently from the quarterback position, as he completed 12 of his 18 passes for 108 yards and a touchdown.

"I think their defense did a good job against us," Fucillo said. "I just think our defense did a hell of a job against them. Our goal [on offense] was to manage the clock well and have timely scoring, which we did. We scored a couple in the second half; that was huge for us."

The defenses dominated the game from the start, as the first quarter saw five punts and no points.

Tufts got on the board first when Perry's fumble recovery gave Jumbos possession on Williams' 36-yard line. After a 13-yard pass from Fucillo to senior wideout David Halas, freshman Adam Auerbach converted on a 40-yard field goal that just cleared the bottom post.

The Ephs struck back quickly, as they too were beneficiaries of a turnover that led to good field position. On a controversial play, Tufts deflected a Williams punt and the Ephs recovered the ball on the Jumbos' 49-yard line.

Following 18- and 10-yard completions by Moffitt as well as a pass interference call, Williams had a first and goal on the five-yard line. The Jumbos kept Williams out on its next three plays, but senior running back Elijah Weeks broke the plane on fourth down for a one-yard score. The Ephs led 7-3 at the half.

"It was really unfortunate that the halftime score was 7-3," Fucillo said. "They got a fumble off a punt that gave them ridiculous field position. We knew our defense was handling them pretty well."

"We just knew that at 7-3 that there was a lot of game left," Reynoso said. "We got ready to come out and play our kind of defense."

After Williams took the kickoff, junior lineman Ian Ritter snagged a turnover on an option play and sprinted 30 yards to the four-yard line, where he fell of his own accord.

"I come down the back side of the line and I see the quarterback getting ready to pitch it, and as I'm running, the ball lands right in my lap," Ritter said. "I look down and realize I have the ball, so I start running as fast as I can towards the end zone.

"I tried to look over my shoulder to see if anyone was coming and I thought I saw someone, so I thought they were going to catch me. So I tried to run faster, and I found out that's as fast as I go; I got top-heavy, and I lost my balance and I fell down around the five. When I got to the sidelines, people were making fun of me already."

Fortunately for the Jumbos, they scored on the next play, as Fucillo hit Halas for a touchdown with 13:22 left in the third. With the touchdown reception, Halas tied Tufts' single-season record with six.

After Tufts' defense forced another three-and-out, the offense took control of the ball on its own 15-yard line. On the first play of the drive, Forde broke through the defense and sprinted 70 yards to the Williams 15. Three plays later, Forde took the ball eight yards to the end zone, giving Tufts a 17-7 lead with 10:21 left in the third quarter.

That was all the Jumbos needed, as the Ephs' next three drives ended in punts, including two three-and-outs. On its last two opportunities of the game, Williams moved the ball, putting together 15- and 10-play drives, respectively. But, Tufts' defense stepped up when it had to, ending both drives with turnovers on downs.

With the win, the Jumbos have renewed life in the NESCAC, as they are tied for third with their 3-2 record. Next week, they travel to face 4-1 Amherst, currently second behind only undefeated Trinity.

"Every game is a big game in this league," Reynoso said. "But we're going to enjoy this one right now, then watch the film, then prepare like we do every week and come out ready to play. They're a great team, they always play us well. We're excited for the challenge."