Homecoming: Jumbo foes beware

For its own sake, the Bates Bobcats had best know what awaits them when they arrive at Tufts tomorrow.

Jumbo athletics as a whole is off to a historic start this fall, posting a collective overall record of 23-1-1, good for a winning percentage (WP) of .940 across six varsity sports, including field hockey, football, men's soccer, women's soccer, volleyball and men's tennis. What's more, heading into tomorrow's Homecoming match-ups every team, with the exception of the men's soccer squad, has yet to surrender a loss. Tufts is also 9-1 in the NESCAC.

Recent history indicates that this is undeniably one of the Jumbos' best starts to the fall season. Leading up to today's date, Sept. 26, in past fall seasons, Tufts' highest winning percentage — based on available records — prior to this year occurred in 2002, when the varsity athletic squads were a combined 16-6 (.727 WP) overall and 10-2 (.833 WP) in the NESCAC. 2005 also produced similar results, with a 21-8 (.724 WP) combined overall record and a 9-4 (.692 WP) conference record.

And with football (1-0), field hockey (5-0), women's soccer (3-0-0) and men's soccer (4-1-1) all boasting solid winning records heading into tomorrow's date with Bates — whose four opposing squads all own at least a share of last place in the conference with a combined 0-8 record in NESAC competition — this weekend will truly be a matchup between David and Goliath (or David and Jumbo, at least).

Let's hope Goliath wins this time.

[ For more on this weekend's matchups, use the links below. ]

--

Football team faces weak Bobcats

Women's soccer team goes for another shutout

Field hockey team looks to extend undefeated record

Men's soccer team hopes to equal last year's win total