Denniston, Brown each earn shares of NESCAC awards

The NESCAC honored two Jumbos yesterday who have helped their respective teams get off to flying starts. The volleyball team's senior tri-captain Kate Denniston and the field hockey team's sophomore forward Tamara Brown each picked up conference Co-Player of the Week honors. Each is a first-time recipient of the award.

Denniston helped her team post an unbeaten 4-0 mark at the Brandeis Invitational this weekend, making just one error in 43 attempts and earning a spot on the All-Tournament team. In the squad's final matchup of the weekend, a critical early-season test against defending NESCAC champion Williams, Denniston recorded nine kills on 13 attempts as Tufts cruised to a 3-0 victory. Buoyed by Denniston's performances, the Jumbos improved to 5-0 on the season.

Brown, meanwhile, continued her impressive recovery from ACL surgery, notching her second hat trick in three games during the field hockey team's 5-0 victory over Colby on Bello Field Saturday. With a team-leading seven goals through the first three games of the season, Brown has already surpassed her points total through 13 games last year. With the victory, the Jumbos are off to their first 3-0 start since coach Tina McDavitt took the helm in 2004.