Letter from the Editors

2014-08-20-Dowling-Solar-Panels-5
The elephant head statue that adorns the entrance to Dowling Hall, home of the Career Center, is pictured on Aug 20, 2014.

Last fall, The Tufts Daily introduced a support fund to help increase Tufts students’ accessibility to journalism in light of financial barriers that may otherwise prevent them from being as involved as they would like. The fund was expanded last spring to include a $500 stipend for people who regularly contribute multiple hours to the Daily each week and two $250 stipends for new members of the Daily community. These scholarships expand opportunities to all class years at Tufts and multiple levels of experience within the Daily.

This semester, we are pleased to again offer a $500 stipend and two $250 stipends. Tufts students interested in journalism and the Daily who also have demonstrated financial need are eligible for the fund. The $250 awards are available to students who are beginning to work for the Daily. Eligible positions include but are not limited to contributing writers as well as new layout and copy editors, staff photographers and videographers, graphic designers and members of our online and social media sections. Recipients of the $250 stipend will be expected to complete one project per month for their section of choice and meet weekly with their section’s executive editor.

The $500 award is available to masthead members of the Daily who regularly put in multiple hours of work every week. Eligible positions include editors, assistant editors, editorialists and staff photographers and videographers. Recipients of all awards will receive their stipends in two half-installments: one midway through the semester and one at the end of the semester.

Please note that while prior journalism experience is appreciated, we encourage everyone with an interest in journalism to apply. Nobody will be penalized if they lack journalism experience and every application will be reviewed within its own context.

This initiative is just one part of a larger Daily effort to create a more intentional and inclusive newsroom. While we acknowledge that it far from fully solves the Daily’s financial inclusivity problem, we, as a financially independent organization, hope to bring in additional revenue this semester and expand this opportunity to more students for whom financial barriers otherwise prevent active involvement. Now more than ever, journalism remains important in its ability to provide accurate and comprehensive coverage of the communities it covers and the support fund will continue to provide the opportunity for members of our organization to do just that.

Please don’t hesitate to reach out to us at daily@tuftsdaily.com with any questions or concerns you might have, and we look forward to reviewing your application.

Applications can be found at https://tinyurl.com/y8mpcrqn and are due at noon on Thursday, Oct. 5 for all recipients.