Op-ed: Why I'm going for Gauri

I want to start this op-ed by talking about why it is important for you to read this and why I am writing. As I was reading through Gauri’s platform, it hit me how much my life at Tufts is affected by decisions that the TCU president makes, along with the rest of TCU Senate. I have several close friends on Senate, and I have seen how hard they work for us, but it didn’t hit me just how much is on their plate until I looked at Gauri’s pages-long list of things she is planning on accomplishing next year. Gauri has spent her three years here making Tufts a better place for all of us to live and learn and is ready to give us her fourth year to make our home even better. She has a full and ambitious platform, filled with ways to make Tufts more suitable and welcoming to students across campus. The decisions that she makes will affect all of you somehow. Our future president will make changes that could affect your classes, dorms, on-campus jobs, dining halls, study spaces and houses. Who you vote for is incredibly important. Educate yourself. Reading this is your first step!

I have had the privilege of knowing Gauri for over a year now, and I can honestly say that she amazes me more and more as I get to know her. Not only is she a wonderful, caring, bubbly and all around positive person, but the things that she has done for the Senate and for the school are truly remarkable. She has put in countless hours, working on a wide range of issues that affect all of us in some way. This is fueled only by her deep love for the Tufts community and the people that make it up.

Gauri has worked, and will continue to work, to support all interests, backgrounds, and individuals on campus. She helped to create the International Community Representative position, worked tirelessly on the Indigenous People’s Day Resolution and served on the Presidential Council on Diversity and Inclusion. As President, she plans to work to build a Hindu-Urdu program, establish an Indigenous Studies minor, make the Group of Six easier to communicate with and increase access to gender neutral bathrooms, among other initiatives. Gauri is committed to upholding and supporting commitments that students and administrators have made, as evidenced by her tireless work bringing Indigenous People’s Day to Tufts. She is unafraid to hold the administration to their commitment of actively working against sexual assault on campus and push the administration to accept the demands made by #TheThreePercent. While this list may sound all over the place, what it really boils down to is: Gauri wants Tufts to be a place where everyone can live and learn safely and comfortably, and where the students and administration actively pursue that goal.

As a woman, as an international student, as someone who holds an on-campus job and as a student, Gauri deeply understands the complexities and challenges that come with being a Tufts student. From my personal relationship with Gauri, I know how deeply empathetic she is and how hard she works to understand things that she doesn’t have direct ties to. She knows our world is complicated and connected, and knows that she cannot possibly relate to every experience that happens on this campus. However, she does understand that as President, she has power to make changes that will improve everyone’s experience at Tufts, even when she doesn’t share their experience.

College is a financial burden for everyone, with tuition, housing bills, textbooks, dining plans and personal expenses. Especially at the beginning of the semester, the expenses can be staggering. Gauri is working to ensure that students on financial aid receive their refunds at least two weeks before classes start, to make these beginning expenses less of a burden. We have all stared in disbelief at our textbook bill. Gauri will work to make sure that if professors require a textbook for their class, they are responsible for making it accessible through Tisch Library. She is also looking to decrease food and printing costs across campus,and to make on-campus jobs more accessible through JobX.

One of the most important things that Gauri understands is the need for support of all kinds across campus. We all know that college can get overwhelming, and in those times it is important to have places to turn to on campus. She has personally heard of students’ negative experiences at Counseling and Mental Health Services (CMHS), and will put together a task force to review and improve the services offered to students. During her presidency, Gauri plans to strengthen the advising system, so that pre-major advisors are more closely linked to a student’s interests and are also more educated on requirements and various programs. Additionally, she is going to create a peer advisement program, where upperclassmen are available to discuss classes, schedules and majors with underclassmen. From creating a full-time Club Sports Director position, to allowing students to self-select which Group of Six e-list they are on, to creating resources directly for transfer students, Gauri understands the wide range of experiences across campus, and how those need to be supported. I’m sure our #GoForGauri campaign is taking up most of your Facebook newsfeeds. Sure, it might be a little annoying. But every single person who is pushing for Gauri truly believes that she is what this campus needs. I could honestly go on and on about all that Gauri will improve at Tufts. Please go to her website, goforgauri.squarespace.com, or check out her Facebook page. Her platform is amazing and touches many different aspects of Tufts life. These words I have written are only a start to the reasons why I am voting for Gauri. I truly believe that we need this intelligent, deep thinking, compassionate and hardworking woman as our next TCU President. Talk to any of us in our awesome Gauri shirts about the many, many reasons that you, too, should #GoForGauri.

Editor’s note: If you would like to send your response or make an Op-Ed contribution to the Opinion section, please email us at tuftsdailyoped@gmail.com. The Opinion section looks forward to hearing from you.