On Writing Op-Eds

Dear readers,

When I first took on the new role as an Executive Op-Ed Editor, my first challenge was recruiting new staff for the Opinion section. I was worried that not a lot of students would want to apply to be regular writers. Why sign up for more deadlines on top of our unceasing flow of assignments and social commitments?

Writing is hard. Writing for deadlines is even harder. I was a weekly editorialist during my first semester at The Tufts Daily, the same time I enrolled in two political science classes. I remembered constantly working on elastic deadlines and exploiting the kindness and awesomeness of my former Executive Editor. Though I always write mentally, I rarely feel like doing the actual writing. When I successfully force myself to sit down in front of the computer, I procrastinate after every few words: browsing Facebook, watching forecasts on weather.com, or refilling my water bottle... The “right” feeling only kicks in at the third or fourth paragraph, and by that time, I want to scratch the first two. Unfortunately, most writers like me are perfectionists.  The last period of the conclusion paragraph is only the start of an endless process of editing. “Rewriting is the essence of writing well – where the game is won or lost”, William Zinsser said.

However, I am really encouraged to have received a high volume of applications for the Opinion section. I enjoyed reading the writing samples over winter break. They helped me stay informed and updated, called my attention to the issues I neglect, opened my mind to new perspectives and allowed me to put myself in another person’s shoes. The pride the applicants put in their writings is contagious. It makes me proud to be a part of a socially active student body who are not afraid to raise their voices, always seeking to be heard, and most of all, fighting for the unheard. This is the reward of writing that trumps all of its challenges – the reward of understanding: to understand ourselves and to help us understand one another. This is why I am grateful for my job at The Tufts Daily that lets me be a part of this greater movement. Every issue published is like a memento that testifies to the talents, courage, passion and vibrancy of the Tufts community.

Therefore, on behalf of The Tufts Daily, I would like to encourage you to keep writing Op-Eds to us, whether you are on staff or not on staff, freshmen or alumni, students or faculty, on-campus or in the greater Medford/Somerville area... The Opinion section wants to catch up with your emotions, your thoughts, and the pace of your daily lives.

For those who would like to join our larger team, The Tufts Daily is hosting General Interest Meetings at Eaton 201 at 8 p.m. on Wednesday and Thursday, Jan. 27 and Jan. 28 respectively. Numerous positions are open in different sections (news, features, arts and living, sports). We are still looking for writers, copy editors, layout editors, columnists, photographers, bloggers, videographers, social media gurus, marketers, web designers, business people and more. We hope to see you there.

Sincerely,

Hannah Hoang

Executive Op-Ed Editor