El Tit fills the gap other publications can’t

If you’ve been lucky, you may have gotten your hands on one of the few copies of El Tit within the past week or two. The “only oldest, co-ed, non-acapella, unrecognized” feminist satirical magazine made its debut very recently in black and white, stapled-together booklets. Though the material is entertaining and thought provoking, with the Tufts satirical magazine The Zamboni already a recognized publication – not to mention the Tufts page on Her Campus – where exactly does El Tit fit in, if it does at all?

The publication was not recognized by the school for these same reasons. Satire is The Zamboni’s area and Her Campus is meant to serve as a forum for women. However, it is unfair to assume that between the two publications, the goal El Tit works towards can be achieved.

Even before El Tit came out, it was quite apparent that there really was no campus publication that provided a place for women to discuss striking issues both on and off campus. Though Her Campus exists as a platform for women to discuss issues they may face in college as women, the articles don’t delve into the rougher struggles women face on college campuses and out in the world. In fact, many of their articles merely serve as advice columns that perpetuate the notion of gendered actions and expressions. There is very little discussion on topics such as positive body image, gender-related double standards, misrepresentation in the media and more.

When the only forum for women on campus focuses more on pilates than politics, it discourages the open discussion of hard-hitting topics across the campus. There's a large gap in the promotion of feminism here that isn’t filled thoroughly by any other group. Sure, there are gender equality advocacy groups -- however, it is important that such discussion is held in a very public, open space that reaches a larger audience. Campus publications reach more people than group meetings or forums do.

El Tit makes an attempt at becoming such a public space, but with a twist. Instead of just being a regular magazine publication, it uses satire to draw attention to issues women face in everyday life, especially in their representation in the media. Most importantly, the writers understand how to effectively utilize such a writing style to get their messages across. They make sure that the satire is well thought out and engaging.

Satire is best consumed in small doses. After a while, its appeal wears off and it even gets irritating. Unfortunately, while the personalities in The Zamboni are entertaining, the magazine itself is much too long. There’s just too much satire in one issue, so much that it become tasteless before you even finish it.

The Zamboni also doesn’t use its position as a satirical magazine to promote the discussion of social justice issues, which is the original purpose of satire in the first place. Once again, there is that gap of under-representation prevalent in Her Campus as well. This is exactly where El Tit comes in.

The shortness of the zine itself ensures that readers get through the whole issue and enjoy every part of it completely, a factor that is essential in the development of a satirical publication. While the personalities and tones of each individual article are hilarious and stimulating, the message behind each one sticks with the reader.

For example, the magazine pokes fun at the notion of gendered items and expressions. One article is a rage-filled outcry against men who wear their long hair in a bun, because apparently long hair is for women and women only, and it's offensive to take that sense of identification away.

As it seems to me, the creators of "El Tit" felt as though their voices were not represented accurately by other publications on campus. Since its debut, many more students agree. The light-hearted tone of the writing attracts a larger audience, therefore alerting many more students to the problems others face on campus. They take away the prim and proper tone that is expected of and used in women’s platforms and replace it with an unapologetic attitude, one we should all have when calling out institutions on their misogynistic tendencies.

El Tit appears to be gaining more and more popularity as the few booklets that have graced our campus are being passed from friend to friend. Hopefully, the school realizes just how important and necessary such a magazine is for the voices here.