Breaking down the heteronormative barriers in Greek Life

When my dad found out I was rushing, he said, “Alex, maybe you’ll meet someone!” Confused, I told him that I was rushing a sorority, and since a sorority is made up of girls, it wouldn’t be conducive to meeting my future husband.

“No, at a date party or a mixer,” he clarified. Although he meant well, it was this conversation that first made me realize the depth of the heteronormativity surrounding Greek life.

Take merely the social aspects of Greek life. Of course, there is so much more to fraternities and sororities than parties, but since parties help play a role in and exemplify Greek life’s heteronormative atmosphere, let’s focus on them. Much of the social life in the Greek world revolves around fraternity-sorority mixers. While these parties are fun, they’re not held for the sole purpose of the sorority sisters and fraternity brothers becoming friends and getting to know each other. (Well, I guess in a way they are about getting to know each other, but in a very particular sort of way.) At these parties, at least in my experience, there is a certain presumption about men and women hooking up with each other. I’ve even heard girls express frustration at the fact that there is almost always an unequal ratio of girls to guys at these parties. Now, of course, there’s nothing wrong with hooking up or with fraternities and sororities mixing with that intention in mind. The issue is with the presumption of straightness. Girls and guys mix because it is assumed they will want to hook up with each other, but sororities don’t mix with other sororities because is assumed that girls would not want to hook up with other girls. Now, in some ways that is a fair presumption because often, the majority of the women in a sorority are straight. But this presumption creates an atmosphere that excludes those who don’t define themselves as heterosexual. And it’s not just the Greek social life that excludes members of the LGBTQ community. Greek life in general is incredibly heteronormative. To quote Scherezade Khan, a junior from New York City who identifies as queer herself, “Sororities are very much almost painfully heteronormative organizations in structure, but in practice have quite a variety of people.” Scherezade is also director of community outreach on Panhellenic Council, as well as a sister in Alpha Omicron Pi.

It’s that variety of people that is often forgotten when it comes to Greek life, especially people who are members of both the LGBTQ community and Greek organizations. Within the Greek system, it is important to provide support for those who do not fit into the heteronormative system. Scherezade herself is starting a Queer Women in Greek Life support group here at Tufts. According to Scherezade, “There is certainly a need for a space for queer sisters within Greek life at Tufts.” The support group has about 20 people in it already, which is a pretty substantial number given that it just started. The group just had its first meeting, so its exact goals are still a bit unclear. According to Scherezade, some members wanted to actively discuss and break down the heteronormative language in Greek life, while other members wanted the group to be just a relaxed place to come and talk about their experiences. As of right now, it sounds like Scherezade is attempting to make both goals possible. She is planning a workshop to discuss how to deal with the heteronormative language and planning a movie night to watch "But I’m a Cheerleader" (1999), which she called “a '90s campy queer classic.” Regardless of what its function ultimately becomes, a casual gathering space or a more active workshop, Scherezade’s project, Queer Women in Greek Life, is definitely much needed and will provide a safe space for queer women in Greek life sorority sisters. Since Greek life is traditionally known to be heteronormative, breaking down the assumption that all sorority sisters and fraternity brothers fit this stereotype is important because we no longer live in a world where heteronormativity can be accepted, especially at Tufts.