Vote "yes" on question four

Of all of the privileges and responsibilities that come with being recognized as an adult citizen of the United States, perhaps the one that rightfully garners the most attention is that of suffrage. And while it is inarguably important to recognize that all eligible voters have a real responsibility to educate themselves about the issues at hand, it is perhaps even more important to acknowledge that each chance to vote is not merely a tally mark on a greater system of government that seemingly continues on without falter or change, but is rather a tangible way in which individuals rally for the causes for which they stand.

One of the four ballot questions on the Massachusetts ballot this Tuesday gives voters the chance to do just that. The fourth ballot question, for which a “yes” vote would be in support of increased paid sick time for employees, addresses an issue that has been of particular concern to Tufts students: the recognition and respect that all employees in every field of labor deserve.

In the same way that Tufts students rightfully feel that they have a responsibility to rally in the name of fair labor practices and general respect for all university employees, and that students believe that their voices will eventually be heard and acknowledged in future university policy changes, the student body should realize that this upcoming ballot question is potentially another means to meet the same end.

If this ballot question were to be met with a “yes” majority, employers with more than 11 employees -- as is the case with the custodial staff on campus -- would be legally obligated to offer up to 40 earned hours of paid sick time each year to every employee.Employers would also be prohibited from requiring employees to work additional hours to make up for missed time. Additionally, this passed law would put into indisputable words that employers would be “prohibited from interfering with or retaliating based on an employee’s exercise of earned sick time rights.”

While these points raised by the ballot question are ones that call to mind issues of economy and the legalities of business, they are questions that are inseparable from issues of human rights and fairness in spheres of labor. All Tufts students have the right to have their voices heard by the administration, and all those who can vote in the upcoming Massachusetts poll have the opportunity to pass the same message along to the state.