Midterm elections matter

The political media has devoted a significant amount of time and writing to the battle over the Senate this fall. The Center for Responsive Politics has projected that the 2014 midterm elections will be the most expensive to date. For all of the attention devoted to the midterm election, however, voters traditionally come out far less for an election without a presidential race. With Election Day less than a week away, Tufts students should be aware that there is a lot at stake in Massachusetts at the ballot box.

The most high-profile election is, of course, the race between Democratic candidate Attorney General Martha Coakley and Republican candidate Charlie Baker for the governor’s seat. The race caught national attention this week when the Boston Globe, traditionally a more liberal newspaper, endorsed Charlie Baker for governor. Baker would seek to bring a business approach to state government while holding moderate views on social issues, while Coakley has voiced support for rights for women and the working class during the race. The election will determine the nature of the legislative process for the next four years, as the Democrats command veto-proof majorities in the state legislature. Whether they will have an ally or more of a business partner in the governor’s office depends on the vote.

Four ballot questions will also be on the table when voters go to the polls next Tuesday. The outcome of the questions after the election will have a significant effect on state law.

The first question asks whether the 2013 law that increases the gas tax according to inflation should be repealed. Supporters argue that the law increases gas taxes to help pay for state infrastructure, while other citizens’ groups argue that it increases taxes each year without a vote. A “yes” vote would repeal the law, while a “no” would keep it in place.

The second ballot question asks whether the state’s beverage recycling law should be expanded to include all non-alcoholic containers. Environmental activists are pushing hard for the question, while grocery stores and bottle makers are fighting against it. A “yes” vote would expand the Bottle Bill, while a “no” would keep it as is.

The third ballot question asks whether a law allowing casinos in the state should be repealed. A “yes” vote would repeal the casino law, while a “no” would keep the casinos. Many members of local communities take issue with what new casinos would bring, while some politicians and union workers believe the economic activity offered by the casinos is worth it.

The fourth ballot question asks whether workers should have one hour of sick time for every 30 hours worked, with a 40 hour maximum in a year.A “yes” vote would enact the law, while a “no” vote would keep the law as is.

Tufts students who vote in Somerville and Medford should go out and learn what they can about local races in both cities, especially in light of recent discussion about housing laws and overcrowding that affects students. Midterm elections may get less attention than presidential elections, but midterms often have important items to be considered that can affect peoples’ lives more directly. Members of the Tufts community should educate themselves and be sure to vote, midterm and presidential election alike.