#wearenotminor offers stepping stone for greater change

2014-05-08-Around-Campus-20

Recently, photo campaigns have held a strong presence in social media, including Humans of New York (and its spinoff projects in other cities) as well as Tufts' own South Asian Political Action Committee (SAPAC)’s South Asians of the Hill. Now, Tufts Asian American Alliance (AAA) is embarking on its own photo campaign: #wearenotminor. The campaign’s name is clever and ironic. The hashtag highlights the classic categorization of Asians as a minority, pushing back against the implications of inferiority that come with the word "minor." It also targets the recent disbandment of the Asian studies major at Tufts in favor of a minor. The campaign is particularly relevant as Asian immigration has surpassed the rate of Hispanic immigration to the United States, according to the Pew Research Center. 

AAA’s photo campaign also explores the ambiguity of the term "Asian American." While the campaign is meant to promote inclusion and spread knowledge of the Asian-American experience, who and where the term "Asian American" encompasses is still vague. The Pew Research Center’s report recognized Asian American as including East Asia, Southeast Asia and the Indian subcontinent. Additionally, they recognized that each subgroup had its own unique culture, history and language. On the South Asians of the Hill Facebook page, one student in the photo campaign commented that the “East Asian narrative” prevails in discussion of Asian American topics, and that there should be greater inclusion of South Asian voices and stories. 

The photo campaign is a great way to draw attention to daily instances of racism that take place on Tufts campus against Asian Americans. It is important for photo campaigns such as AAA's to highlight the stereotyping that occurs at Tufts, even on a micro-level. It is not just Asian Americans that face micro-aggressions every day, however. According to Tufts Admissions, approximately 30 percent of the Tufts student body identify as students of color. Hopefully this campaign will extend to other marginalized groups of people, whether they are classified by race, gender, sexuality, ability, ethnicity or socioeconomic class.  AAA's photo campaign provides an excellent opportunity to promote greater discussion on systemic issues in Tufts culture and American society, which lead to racism against Asian Americans and other stereotyped groups of people.

Correction: October 22, 2014 

An earlier version of this article stated that Tufts previously offered an Asian American studies major. In fact, Tufts previously offered an Asian studies major.