Colonialism minor combats historical underrepresentation

2014-08-26-Colonialism-Minor-15
Professor Kamran Rastegar, Professor Lisa Lowe, middle, and Professor Kris Manjapra will spearhead the new colonialism studies minor.

"Until the lions have their historians, the tale of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter." This proverb carries an important sentiment for those studying history to bear in mind throughout the course of their education. It is an unfortunate truth that an in-depth study of "world history" is so often taught through the lens of Western society. As a result, the narratives of peoples and countries that have fallen victim to a past of imperialism continue to be pushed to the very margins of academia. Tufts, however, is taking an important step to combat this bias by introducing a new minor in colonialism studies.

From a strictly educational standpoint, the addition of any new minor to the list of available areas of study is a commendable move by the university. Minors allow students to explore and expand their interests with additional courses outside their majors. It also allows students to customize their education by choosing a focus of study that either expands on or complements their main concentration.

8/26/14 – Medford/Somerville, MA, 02155 – Director of the new colonialism minor, Dr. Kris Manjapra, center, Dr. Lisa Lowe, an English professor, left, and Dr. Kamran Rastegar, professor of German, Russian and Asian Language and Literature, right, both on the executive committee for the minor, pose for a picture on August 26th 2014 on the Academic Quad. (Nicholas Pfosi / The Tufts Daily) (Nicholas Pfosi / The Tufts Daily)

The demand for a colonialism studies minor has been strong, an understandable sentiment when one considers the popularity of the international relations major and the vast array of study tracks which already exist under the Consortium of Studies in Race, Colonialism and Diaspora, the home of the new program. While a selection of courses pertaining to colonialism, its philosophy and its historical and societal implications has previously existed, the development of the new minor will allow students and faculty to collaborate in a way that facilitates the critical study of these interdisciplinary courses under one common umbrella.

The official declaration of a colonialism studies minor demonstrates a commitment to prioritizing the necessity of this field of study. Faculty members involved already have plans for inventive ways of teaching that intend to provide students with opportunities to widen their perspectives by working with international universities via video chat. The new colonialism studies minor is designed for students to acquire the tools necessary to understand colonialism in an effort to create a reworked historical consciousness. This addition gives proper attention to both a field of study and a portion of history that are too often overlooked.