Growth of Greek life at Tufts

In about two and a half short months I will be graduating from Tufts University. I will also become a proud alumna of the Tufts fraternity and sorority system. Fraternities and sororities have been a tradition at Tufts University for more than 158 years, and one that I have fully embraced and taken advantage of. And while our community has struggled in the past, both internally and with the university, I am confident leaving my post as Inter-Greek Council president knowing that we have made immense progress in the past four years.

This past year, Greek leadership councils have worked closely with the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life (OFSL) and the administration to not only improve the internal structure of fraternity and sorority life, but also foster growth and understanding of the true meaning of Greek life. We have strived to embody the ideals of our respective organizations and those which tie us together, and share these values with the Tufts community.

This past fall, Tufts OFSL held its second Greek leaders retreat, inviting the Inter-Greek Council, Inter-Fraternity Council and Panhellenic Council Executive Board members, in addition to chapter representatives. In this two-day retreat, which aimed to improve relationships among campus leaders through an intensive, interactive weekend program, participants took part in activities that emphasized problem solving, leadership development, values-based decision making, effective communication and community development. Participants arrived back on campus with valuable peer networks of support throughout the Greek system and “game plans” to improve their own chapters and contribute to both the Greek community and the Tufts student body as a whole.

After this retreat, many participants left with a renewed confidence in the potential of the community. Many pledges were made: to improve morale within chapters, support the growth of multicultural Greek organizations and Kappa Alpha Theta as they join the campus, hold each organization accountable to a high standard and come together as a community to actively approach our weaknesses and continue to develop our strengths.

Since then, with the active participation of chapter delegates and members, we have created an Inter-Greek Council mission statement to accompany a thoroughly revised and updated Inter-Greek Council constitution. We have created a Judicial Board comprised of chapter members and IGC Executives trained to approach actions seen in violation of OFSL policy, leading us toward developing an accountable and self-governing entity. Our public relations team has boosted our social media presence, highlighting our members, chapter activities and events, as well as sharing our rich history on platforms such as Facebook and Twitter. We have warmly welcomed Kappa Alpha Theta and Lambda Pi Chi into our community, while also incorporating record numbers of new members joining our community this spring for both fraternities and sororities on campus. Tufts proudly sent a delegation of 10 fraternity and sorority members to the Northeastern Greek Leader Association Annual Conference, the highest attendance we have had in years. Lastly, we are looking forward to having all 14 organizations housed on campus with Sigma Nu and Kappa Alpha Theta occupying 90-94 Curtis Street. In addition to all of these accomplishments, we are incredibly excited for what we have planned for the rest of the semester, including Town Hall meetings open to both chapter members and non-Greek members, peer facilitated programming for new and active members and a completely revamped Greek week highlighting fun, community outreach and awarding chapters for their achievements and progress.

Although I am sad to be leaving this community so soon, I am proud and honored to have had the opportunity to serve as a leader within my chapter and as president of the Greek system. It has been a highly rewarding experience, and I am fully confident that fraternity and sorority life will serve Tufts University well as it continues to grow and flourish.

Elyse Galloway is a senior majoring in anthropology. She can be reached at Elyse.Galloway@tufts.edu.