Subsidizing subway expenses for students

Over the past few weeks, the Tufts community has frequently discussed the affordability of transportation to and from Boston. The general consensus is that the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA) offers a limited travel schedule and steep prices, discouraging students from making the most of the city. Despite recent discourse regarding the potential implementation of a weekend night shuttle to Boston, there is still a need for the university to address the constraints of day-to-day travel using the MBTA system.

The Tufts administration should facilitate travel to and from Boston for students with internships or jobs in the city and connections at nearby universities, as well as for those who simply want to explore Boston. Those who hold internships and jobs, or who live a few subway stops away, have to cope with the minimum $4 round-trip cost every day with a CharlieCard and $5 without. Yesterday, the Office for Campus Life announced the sale of $5 CharlieTickets for a discounted $4 — the same price that any student with a CharlieCard already pays. Although it appears that the university is attempting to make travel more affordable, more needs to be done.

Tufts can look to other Boston-area universities for examples of well-devised MBTA plans for students. For instance, students at Northeastern University and Boston University can receive an 11 percent discount by applying for a semester MBTA pass, facilitating the commute for frequent travellers. Massachusetts Institute of Technology even subsidizes the purchase of MBTA monthly passes for students at 50 percent. Although it is true that these schools are more centrally located, it is still a point of frustration that Tufts offers little assistance for students making the longer trip into town. Bentley University, which is also situated in the suburbs, offers students a shuttle service instead of discounted MBTA access. This could be a possible solution as well, and the Tufts Community Union Senate last week took major steps to address transportation issues by passing a resolution that calls for a weekend shuttle service into Boston.

The aforementioned need for subsidization of MBTA travel should in no way detract from Senate’s commendable initiative. Together, these plans address a dual issue — pricing and timing — that inhibits travel into the city. Although we cannot expect to see changes implemented immediately, the university should continue to work toward the ultimate goal of easy and affordable travel throughout Boston for students.