Acknowledging appropriation

Internationally minded universities like Tufts pride themselves on diversity. Students are encouraged to share their own cultures and experiences with those of their peers. Such exchanges can often be of a sensitive nature: When is this sort of discussion appropriate? In what context? Who decides?

These are some of the questions that were raised in the open discussion on cultural appropriation last night, inspired by the debate provoked by fraternity Theta Chi’s recent Tufts Prism Run.

The event, which was earlier called the Tufts Color Run, was apparently inspired by the Indian festival Holi. The “color” of the run, an element which some consider to be cultural appropriation, came the from Prism Run organizers and volunteers throwing colored powder (an important component of the Hindu festival of Holi) at participants. Some students have argued that, while encouraging others to enjoy Holi, this particular event failed to provide appropriate and nescessary insight into its cultural background.

Theta Chi’s initiative was based on a nationwide color run that is intended to promote “healthiness and happiness” while raising money for charity. The fraternity adopted some aspects of the event and added to it an association with Holi. It is clear, however, that there was little desire to seriously replicate the festival, which is celebrated in the spring, not the fall. Therefore, the casual reference to Holi seems to be an attempt to raise the appeal of the event by forging a connection to the colorful and enjoyable aspects of the religious festival.

However, it is important to remember that Holi, although having a rich theological history, is also an occasion for fun-loving celebration. Festivities such as this one can be approached in different ways — religiously and secularly — and cannot be guarded by any one group. Theta Chi’s initiative can, at most, be blamed for being careless, but it is unlikely that they meant to rob or tarnish a cultural practice that is as diverse as this one.

Ultimately, this event reveals the different interpretations of culture that are increasingly prevalent today. It is necessary to be sensitive to every community’s fundamental practices, and campus organizations and the Daily should and will strive to do better. Appropriation, by itself, is not the problem. Careless or seemingly thoughtless appropriation is, and critics of the way the event was handled are justified in their concern.