'Take Back the Night' fosters campus dialogue

There are few topics so dislocated from daily life as that of sexual assault. Despite the numerous statistics thrown at us - there were 63 cases of sexual misconduct reported at Tufts last year - or the comic performances of a group like Sex Signals at Orientation, it is always difficult to fully come to grips with the dark reality of this form of violence. It is therefore imperative that the university provides a platform for discussion of sexual violence, which is often not at the forefront of campus discourse. It is equally important for students to take advantage of the opportunities to engage in meaningful dialogue about sexual assault and misconduct.

At 7 p.m. tonight, students will be given the opportunity to do just that. The Panhellenic Council, along with local and other on-campus student organizations, will host the annual "Take Back the Night," an event on the Tisch Library roof aimed at shattering the wall of silence that surrounds sexual violence at Tufts. 

The event will feature student performances and speeches. Most notably, victims will have the chance to share their own stories, either by themselves or anonymously. This highly personal element ensures that the event will not only raise awareness, but also bring much-needed voices to these stories. As a result, students can come one step closer to understanding the experiences of victims. Although the public setting is not particularly friendly to such sensitive subject matter, it is this very aspect of openness that will make the event all the more powerful.

"Take Back the Night" is one of many university-wide initiatives addressing sexual violence. After general student dissatisfaction with the way the issue had been dealt with in the past, University President Anthony Monaco and the administration created a sexual assault taskforce to assess the university's policy and recommend changes. The group is expected to act as a sort of umbrella organization for the many smaller ones on campus. Comprised of students, faculty and administrators from all three campuses, the taskforce will be in charge of drafting legislation, managing resources and promoting education. 

Everyone should be delighted to see this concerted effort to tackle sexual assault at Tufts. It remains critical, however, that the mechanisms in place are fully utilized by students, which means attending events such as the one tonight.