Letter to the Editor

Feature-Image_Place-HolderPRESLAWN2

Dear Editor,

In response to the Sept. 5 editorial “Cohen renovations a hindrance to learning,” let me start by saying that I regret the inconvenience to students and teaching teams resulting from the relocation of classes as the major renovation of Cohen Auditorium is completed. The cooperation and understanding that students and faculty have shown during this time is greatly appreciated.

We all agree that streamed lectures are far from ideal. However, the teaching faculty, the Cohen renovation project team, Tufts Technology Services and the Music Department have been working together since last winter to ensure that contingency arrangements — should they be needed — would be as smooth as possible for students. And they have been.

As noted in the editorial, four courses scheduled in Cohen are temporarily being taught in Distler Auditorium. Two of those classes exceed the capacity of Distler or any other teaching space on campus and, therefore, are being streamed via a Web feed to other classes: Sophia Gordon Multipurpose Room in the case of EC 5 and Barnum 008 in the case of BIO 13. Course enrollment was capped to reflect the smaller number of seats, even with the combined classes. Additional technical support has been provided to set up the classes in advance and to aid the interaction between the faculty and students, particularly in the split classes. Systems are in place to accommodate the questions of students during and after class. Although the Daily editorial mentioned that technological glitches seemed inevitable, I am happy to say that very few have been reported. This is due to the shared goal of the faculty and all those behind the scenes to successfully bridge the month until classes can again be held in Cohen with high-quality alternative learning spaces and technology.

I believe you will find the temporary delay to be worth the wait. Next month, the greatly improved technology throughout Cohen Auditorium will benefit classes, events and performances through better audio, projected images and lighting. Performances will further benefit from new curtains, a new stage floor and trusses for adjusting stage lights. For the first time, the stage is wheelchair accessible. And, the new mechanical systems are far more efficient than more easily controlled.

We can all be proud of this project, which took 18 months to plan, design and construct. In fact, the Daily first reported the Cohen renovation in Oct. 2012, highlighting a need for more student input regarding the scope of work. As a result, the Office for Campus Life organized two meetings last year between Tufts students and the project architect, Leers Weinzapfel. Students shared their ideas regarding the current and future use of the auditorium, voted on the final color scheme, tested the seating options and argued (successfully) for additional scope to support stage performances.

Construction should be complete in just a few weeks, classes should resume in Cohen in early October and all of us will be able to enjoy our newly renovated auditorium.

Sincerely,

Linda Snyder

Vice President for Operations