It's time to act: Christie for Tufts

Actions speak louder than words.

Yes, we're all familiar with this grade-school maxim. But years later, it still remains relevant to our experience at Tufts. As the TCU Presidential elections draw near, the student body has been inundated with information (plus the occasional postcard or piece of candy) about the candidates, their platforms, their accomplishments and what they hope to enact if elected President.

In the face of this overwhelming material, how does one decide who would be the best leader for the student body? To answer this question, one must first ask: What are the characteristics of a good leader?

First, a leader relates to and understands the student body. To put together her platform (a mere thirty pages), Christie spent hours conducting one-on-one interviews with students to hear their ideas. It is no coincidence that, instead of abstract concepts, Christie's platform is full of concrete, well-developed ideas.

Second, a leader is able to provide meaningful direction to the body. In her three years, Christie has served on a number of committees to more fully understand the power of Senate. Christie chaired the Services Committee on which I served, and her direction and encouragement ensured that we were arguably the most productive committee on Senate. Under her direction, we hosted an appreciation dinner for dining hall and custodial staff; pushed for the creation of a kosher deli to be constructed for the upcoming academic year and pushed for a late-night shuttle from Tufts to Boston and back. Christie also directed the popular Thanksgiving and Spring Break shuttles, involving all of Senate in the project's implementation.

Most importantly, a leader has a proven track record. Christie herself initiated Carmichael's conversion to a late-night study space during finals, as well as the brand-new Stop and Shop shuttle. While serving as TCU Treasurer, she restructured the entire budgeting process to reduce leftover funds in student groups' budgets, while ensuring that they continued to utilize their budgets as fully as possible. She also lowered the student activities fee, saving each student $18.

Some students question the relevance of the TCU President to their lives at Tufts, dismissing the position as a mere figurehead. If you believe that this election is about choosing someone to tap a gavel, then the answer is quite simple: that's all you're going to get. But, having served on Senate this past year, I can tell you that Christie would make the Presidency relevant to your day-to-day lives.

I am confident that Christie Maciejewski is a leader in the full capacity of the word. Christie is committed, involved, and driven. She is capable of leading not only the Senate body, but the student body at large.

We look to the past for guidance in the future. Christie's agenda for the Presidency is paralleled by her list of accomplishments - a list that reflects nothing less than action and commitment to the student body.

Actions speak louder than words. I want a president who acts.

On Tuesday, please elect Christie Maciejewski as the new TCU president.