Letter from the Editor

Dear Readers,

It’s that time of year again – the time when we students are equal parts anxious about finals and eagerly awaiting summer break, when the New England weather gods can’t decide if 50s or 70s are preferable and when Red Sox fans on campus and around the Boston area fret endlessly about their team’s apparently inevitable demise.

Our spring opened with a flood and closed with a Fling – and before I go any further, I want to thank the members of Guster for their shoutout to the Daily on Saturday. 

Many of us have spent more than 20,000 minutes in our temporary home on the second floor of Curtis Hall this semester, minutes that we would not trade for anything but that we could certainly now use to catch up on our sleep. Though you won’t find a Sudoku to distract you from your calculus problem set or history reading on Tuesday, we will be back on May 20 with our Commencement issue and back to our usual schedule to help you through all of your staring-at-the-minute-hand lectures in the fall.  

Since our first issue of the spring on Jan. 19, Tufts Friends of Israel and Tufts Students for Justice in Palestine waged a spirited debate about the ongoing Arab-Israeli conflict, the women’s basketball team thrilled fans at Cousens Gym by advancing to the Sweet Sixteen of the NCAA tournament and Lupe Fiasco ensured that the show would go on all night.

Junior Wyatt Cadley was elected TCU president, and sophomore diver Johann Schmidt captured the program’s first national championship since 1982. University President Anthony Monaco told the Daily that he is focused on tackling “big world problems” as his first year in Medford comes to a close, and the Tufts community learned that Cornell University dean David Harris would soon follow in Jamshed Bharucha’s footsteps as provost and senior vice president on the Hill.

In just the past week, NBC Nightly News anchor Brian Williams and former White House Deputy Chief of Staff Karl Rove visited Tufts to share their experiences, and Governor Deval Patrick will speak on the Hill this evening.

Reporting on these events and hundreds of others has been a highlight of our spring, but the stories we print are just one part of the Daily experience. If you’ll forgive the cliche from my sportswriting days, the Daily is a team – a team of writers and editors, photographers and producers, full-time students and fast friends who come together to make each of our 60 issues possible.

It has been my honor and pleasure to work with our 117 masthead members and countless contributors throughout the past semester, and I am eternally grateful to each of them for their efforts. I want to especially thank our production and copy editing departments for contending with temperamental computers and a server gone rogue – technological issues that kept us in the office into the wee hours of many mornings but that often inspired them to rise well beyond their normal call of duty.

Before I bid you farewell and let you return to your books and notes, on behalf of everyone at the Daily, I want to thank you, our readers. However you take in our content – in print or online, via laptop or iPhone, in the back row of Barnum 008 or the comfy chairs in Brown & Brew – we appreciate your time and hope that the Daily has enhanced your life at Tufts.

And remember, if you ever feel the urge to join the Daily, the opportunity to write, edit or help produce each issue is an email to [email protected] or a visit to Curtis Hall away. 

Sincerely,

Daniel Rathman

Editor-in-Chief

This post has been edited since the original version was published online.