Letter to the Editor

Dear Editor,

I am a parent of a junior at Tufts.

I was very saddened to hear about the ban on the Naked Quad Run (NQR). The university experience must be more than about attending classes and studying for tests. I certainly don't expect University President Anthony Monaco, or myself for that matter, to participate in NQR, but 35 years ago, I probably would have. Acting like dumb college students is the part of the maturing experience. I'd hate to see you take it away from these kids.

Citing concerns about drinking or other inappropriate or dangerous behavior sounds ridiculous to me. The ones involved in that behavior should be punished, not everyone else. It seems like a cop-out on your part. It is like forbidding students from getting a driver's license because some of them might drive too fast and get into accidents.

Yes, there might be some excessive drinking and horsing around, but compared to what goes on at other schools, the students of Tufts are exemplary. I know: I have attended, and have had kids in, other schools.

As parents, we spent most our lives protecting them. I wish the university would allow them to spread their wings a little, even if they do dumb things like NQR. I promise you that 20 years from now, those kids who were drinking and participating in NQR will be the leaders of our nation, and we will all be proud of them.

I am not suggesting that Tufts should condone NQR, but if there ever was a time to look the other way, this is it.

Sincerely,

RamiBrosh