Letter to the Editor

Dear Editor,

I have noticed recently that the Tufts "no solicitation" notices that are posted at the entryways of nearly every university building have been vandalized in the past week with stickers that say, "We support Justice for Janitors." While my classmates and other members of the university community are welcome to voice their support for the janitors during the university's bid process for the janitorial contract, they cross a line when they vandalize school property.

I have noticed that the university has attempted to remove the stickers, causing damage to the "no solicitation" notices. Not only does the university have to replace damaged notices, but also the process of removing the stickers has wasted the valuable time of our (unionized) Facilities Services staff.

I urge the administration and Tufts' police department to investigate the matter and punish any members of the community that were involved in this vandalism. Moreover, the perpetrators ought to pay for the replacement of the "no solicitation" notices. Lastly, if a Tufts Community Union- (TCU) funded group used Student Activities Fee money to buy the stickers that were placed across campus, the members of the group should be required to reimburse the TCU Treasury.

I applaud my fellow students for advocating for causes they believe in, but I urge them not to vandalize our campus in the process.

Sincerely,

John K. Atsalis

Class of 2011