From the Editor-in-Chief | Living up to the motto

It's cold, the streets are icy and the Yankees are still the most hated team in sports: Welcome to winter in Boston.

For our first issue back from hibernation, we wanted to take a second to wish you, our readers, a happy 2011. And, more importantly, provide you with a Sudoku to make the first day of classes a bit more palatable.

For those of you, like myself, graduating in a mere four months, the road ahead may be nothing short of terrifying. For those of you somewhere in the middle, you'll be there sooner than you may think. In spite of it all, the Daily has and will continue to bring you the latest in campus happenings. We've been doing it since 1980 — can't let a few New England blizzards stop us now, can we?

Even over break, the presses continued to churn. An earlier-than-usual ending to this year's Naked Quad Run reportedly led to several student-police confrontations and a student's arrest. The Beelzebubs headed to the White House last month to croon for the president, while long-time football head coach Bill Samko announced the end to his 17 years leading the team. The Daily's reporters were there through it all, and we invite you to check out their coverage on Jumbo Slice and the Score, our news and sports blogs at TuftsDaily.com.

Yet these items are just three among many that reinforce what we all already know — the news cycle is nonstop and only gets quicker with time. Tufts is the smallest university in the country with a daily independent student newspaper — we'd be lying if we didn't admit that the pace of news sometimes outpaces us. Compounded by the likes of Twitter and that social network we all love to hate and hate to love, it's not easy to live up to the motto on our front page: "Where you read it first."

To that end, consider our New Year's resolution a renewal of this goal, a pledge to provide you with the very best content we can, the very soonest we can.

Every morning, couched around your daily crossword and Jumble, you will find articles and in-depth features that have been reported on comprehensively and scrutinized by at least six pairs of trained eyes before they hit newsprint.

Yet while the paper you're currently holding may be the culmination of a long night of production, we will continue to improve our online content. News articles and features will be accompanied by audio or video interviews and slideshows. Our arts department will offer online-only supplements to its print reviews, while our dedicated sports reporters will keep you constantly updated with real-time game stats on the Tufts Daily Sports Twitter account (@TuftsDailySport).

As the news industry continues to evolve, we must evolve with it. The Daily is a lot different today than when I was introduced to it three and a half years ago, and we can only hope to continue that progress this spring. It's not an easy task, but we're up to the challenge.

The Daily is here to serve you, the Tufts community, so let us know how we're doing and what we've missed with letters to the editor and op-ed submissions. Maybe even try your hand at writing a column this semester. Or better yet, join us! Our general interest meeting will be on Feb. 1 at 9 p.m. in Braker 001. I'll bet you a New England blizzard it'll be worth your while.

Sincerely,

Alexandra Bogus

Editor-in-Chief