Decision to cancel IM sports was wrong

Director of Intramural Sports Cheryl Milligan on Monday announced that the Athletics Department has cancelled the winter intramural sports season due to space considerations and other concerns. Intramural sports will resume in March at the earliest, while relatively unorganized "open gym" sessions will fill the void until that time.

Milligan voiced legitimate problems plaguing the winter intramural sports season. Her primary concern was that there is an inadequate amount of space in the Gantcher Center to accommodate all the intramural sports and varsity teams during the first couple months of the calendar year, after students return from winter break. She pointed to cancellations of games and no−shows during that second part of the winter season as further reasons for canceling the season.

While the Daily recognizes these difficulties, we oppose the Athletics Department's decision to cancel the winter season. For many students who were active on their high school sports scenes but do not have the time to commit to varsity teams at Tufts, intramural sports offer an opportunity to keep that aspect of their lives alive. Tufts students have myriad interests and canceling the winter intramural season hinders their pursuit for some with the goal of being well−rounded, healthy individuals.

For many students, intramural sports are the best and most enjoyable way to fit exercise into their hectic schedules and stay physically and mentally healthy. Not only are they exercising, but they are doing so in a fun and competitive setting with their friends, with the logistical details taken care of by the university.

While students would still be able to exercise during "open gym" sessions — during which they could show up at an appointed time to use athletic facilities and equipment but not be given the opportunity to compete on organized teams — turnout will undoubtedly be reduced.

Sports in a competitive setting are more likely to attract students than scheduled open−ended and unstructured sessions. Students could take the initiative to organize competitive matches during these sessions, but this would require students to organize logistics — a level of dedication and organization that would likely deter most students who would have otherwise wanted to participate in such activities. The "open gym" sessions will clearly not be as effective as intramural sports in encouraging athletic participation among the student body.

Several initiatives, from the President's Marathon Challenge to displaying calorie counts in dining halls, show that the university is committed — at least on some level —to promoting fitness and a healthy lifestyle for all students. The decision of the Athletics Department to abandon ship in the face of adversity is a disappointing cop out that flies in the face of that commitment.

Issues of space and commitment aside, intramural sports have been offered in the past — with hiccups and headaches, but to the great benefit of the student body. Even though games are cancelled and many teams drop out, a significant number of students still benefit; the fact that some uncommitted teams drop out does not mean those who keep at it — as well as members of the Class of 2014 who have never experienced intramurals before — should be punished.

Creative scheduling could alleviate space problems — it has been done in the past — and in the event that such issues still remain, just the least popular or most problematic sports could be removed from the schedule. Or, as in the past, some games could be cancelled. Why cancel the entire season?

By committing more resources to the program, increasing its level of organization and giving it the attention it deserves, student interest, commitment and participation will likely increase. More effort should be made to attract and retain students' interest, with better advertising, prizes for winning teams and provision of resources like equipment and referees for games.

Committing more completely to the program, instead of getting rid of it altogether, will help promote healthy lifestyles and athleticism among students. Anything less is a disservice to the student body.