The church in a changing world

In an interview with German journalist Peter Seewald, Pope Benedict XVI conceded that the use of condoms could in rare cases be acceptable to the Roman Catholic Church. In his comments, which appear in Seewald's book, "Light of the World: The Pope, the Church and the Signs of the Times," released last Tuesday, the pope specified that the use of condoms by male prostitutes could, in his opinion, be justified in an effort to prevent the spread of HIV.

The pope's statements come in the context of a larger debate in the church about the permissibility of using condoms. While the pope's stance signifies a loosening of church policy, he affirmed that condom use for the purpose of birth control is impermissible, a position the church has traditionally stood by. The pope admitted that condoms play an important role in HIV protection, but the "humanization of sexuality," he said, is the ultimate solution to stemming the transmission of AIDS and other sexually transmitted diseases.

The comments represent a significant, progressive step for the Catholic Church. Coming from the pope, the proclamation carries a great deal of authority. Although it only has implications for Catholic members of society, it may foreshadow a shift in the church's approach to the issue. At the very least, the pope's comments suggest that the use of condoms is a complex issue for the Catholic Church.

Thus far, the pope's decision has been widely applauded, particularly by AIDS activists. Outside the United States, the pope's stance may bear even greater significance. Many reports have said that any breakthrough on this issue is a major step for societies in Latin America and Africa, where sexually transmitted diseases are more rampant.

But it has not received universal support. Some African priests who have petitioned for permission to support more widespread condom use to combat the spread of AIDS feel that the pope has not gone far enough. They cited married couples in which one partner had HIV as a group that should have been included in the pope's statement.

Overall, this development should be viewed in a positive light. It has been 48 years since the Second Vatican Council (Vatican II), when Catholic leaders gathered to discuss modernizing the faith to fit the era. We can only hope that Pope Benedict's comments represent a newfound progressivism within the church. Upon his election at the age of 78, he was seen primarily as a placeholder, a conservative pope who would uphold traditional, canonical values. But his statement suggests otherwise.

With longstanding institutions such as the church — institutions based on ancient rituals and policy — there is a constant struggle to maintain relevancy in a changing word. The success of an institution is often based on its ability to successfully strike a balance between adapting to present−day circumstances and preserving core values.

Vatican II proved that the church can change. Hopefully, Pope Benedict's comments are in the same vein. They are a step in the right direction, leading to a renewed discussion of church policy in the modern world.