The road ahead

The Republican Party took clear control of the House of Representatives on Tuesday, a reality check for President Barack Obama and a rebuke of the policies he has worked to put into place over the past two years.

Obama was blunt in a press conference yesterday, recognizing the "shellacking" that the Democrats received and vowing to negotiate with Republicans. "I can tell you that some election nights are more fun than others," he said. "Some are exhilarating; some are humbling."

The president's words are encouraging. He is in touch with the American people and understands that they have spoken. It is now necessary for Obama and Democrats across the board to compromise on some of the issues for which they have been fighting. This is not to say that Obama should completely abandon some of his laudable aspirations. However, concessions must be made. Already in his press conference yesterday, Obama appeared to leave the door open to extending the Bush tax cuts for individuals with an income over $200,000 per year and families with an income of over $250,000 per year. This was a door that was firmly shut just a few months ago.

It is imperative that the federal government, with power now more equally divided along party lines, rises above the petty partisan politics that have dominated national politics over the past few years. Thankfully, Obama clearly sees the necessity to work together with the new Congress irrespective of leadership and reach a point of civility of discourse.

"I do believe there is hope for civility. I do believe there's hope for progress. And that's because I believe in the resiliency of a nation that's bounced back from much worse than what we're going through right now."

Republicans also must compromise and work with Democrats and the president. Many Republicans have run on platforms opposing the legislation that has been signed into law over the past two years. Rep. John Boehner (R−Ohio), who is expected to succeed Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D−Calif.) as the Speaker of the House, has vowed to repeal the health care reform, which he refers to as a "monstrosity." This sort of attitude is completely unacceptable and will not lead to progress and prosperity for the nation.

Just as the American people spoke last night, they also spoke in 2006 and 2008, giving Democrats the mandate to enact the legislation they have since passed. Furthermore, despite the election results, exit polls showed significant support for legislation from the past two years. On health care, for example, about half the nation is in favor of the reforms that were made. The Republicans' strong showing does not mean that they should now undo the work of the past two years.

While since his election Obama has struggled to deliver on his key campaign promise of promoting bipartisanship in Washington, only now, ironically, might he be able to fulfill that pledge.