Eat your veggies

Students at universities like Tufts have a full plate of goals and ambitions when they arrive on campus. We all know those goals well: good grades, impressive extracurricular accomplishments and the attainment of lifelong friends, to name a few.

While these goals may be extremely varied, the one thing that is a common prerequisite for their attainment is good health. With the rigorous lives that most Tufts students lead, we often forget to take care of ourselves and struggle to find the time of day to get that free flu shot our mothers keep calling us about.

One of the best ways to stay healthy is to eat well. Luckily for us, Tufts Dining Services is ranked as one of the best campus dining programs in the country. Students might complain about a perceived lack of variety after Thanksgiving turkey makes its fifth appearance in a semester, but the fact remains that Dining Services does an admirable job of providing students with a variety of fresh and healthy foods. For those preferring to cook for themselves, Dining Services has this year introduced a farmer's market on Wednesday afternoons outside the Mayer Campus Center, where students can buy fresh and local produce.

However, the shift that is needed in student eating habits will not be made simply by Dining Services providing the student body with healthy options. Students must buy into the philosophy of eating one's fruit and vegetables and actually take advantage of the plethora of healthy options provided to them.

Even if you have brushed off what your doctor or parents told you about the importance of maintaining a balanced diet, there are plenty of reasons to do so that cannot be ignored. In general, the leading health organizations recommend that we should eat at least three servings of vegetables every day. Unfortunately, a recent study released by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention found that only 26 percent of American adults eat this amount per day.

This is a worrisome statistic — not only could America's obesity epidemic be kept in check better with more Americans making simple decisions like snacking on carrots instead of potato chips, but with their plethora of essential vitamins and minerals, vegetables could make a huge contribution toward improving overall health.

Proteins and fats also do not relieve hunger as quickly as vegetables do because of their relatively lower amount of fiber. Likewise, a diet rich in fruits and vegetables helps to maintain a strong immune system.

Although it might seem easier to grab a slice of pizza next time you are in the dining hall, grab a salad instead. Your body will thank you down the road.