Conscientious and Contentious

In recent months, there has been much controversy surrounding a proposed project to bring a Muslim community center to downtown Manhattan. Within and outside New York, there have been countless demonstrations from both sides of the debate. On one side is the opposition to the building of the Muslim community center, also called the Park51 project. On the other side are those supporting the construction of this project.

Those who reject this proposal are quick to reference the proximity of the center to the former site of the World Trade Center. Islamic extremists who took a violent fundamentalist view of the Quran carried out the attacks. Of course, this radical view of Islam is only espoused by a very small percentage of Muslims worldwide.

Nonetheless, opponents of the community center at 45-51 Park Place, which is more than two blocks from the World Trade Center, believe that placing it there is a symbol of triumph to the entire Muslim population. To them, this would be a personal affront to the entire United States and an insult to the thousands directly affected by the 9/11 terrorist attacks.

Opponents tend to refer to the building as "the ground zero mosque," a terribly misleading term.  The proposed multi-story building will have many amenities that community centers have: recreation areas such, as a basketball court and swimming pool; a fitness center; a 500-seat auditorium; a restaurant and culinary school; a library; childcare; a 9/11 memorial; and, finally, a prayer room open to all members.

Some view it as insensitive for this group to insist on having the community center so close to the site of such a devastating event. The Muslim community worldwide has requested that others respect and be sensitive to their wishes that the Prophet Muhammad not be drawn or rendered in any way. Opponents of the building of Park51 want the same respect and sensitivity, and they see it as hypocritical for those Muslims not to comply.

However, regardless of the notion of sensitivity, the fact of the matter is that the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution explicitly outlines that American citizens have freedom of religion: the right to practice any religion as well as the freedom from any other religion. The United States is home to a free society that promotes equality. The words written on the Supreme Court building must hold true: "equal justice under law." Not allowing this community center to be built would violate one of the most basic principles that our nation espouses.

Beyond this fact, it is counterproductive to continue the debate in this controversial manner. Newsweek documented that Taliban leaders believe that this controversy provides them with "more recruits, donations and popular support." This undermines our goal in Afghanistan and further puts our soldiers in danger.  The question of building the center is not only settled in terms of legality but in terms of practicality and safety as well.

Now, what does this have to do with all of us here in Medford? Quite simply, a restriction of anyone's constitutional rights, such as denying citizens their right to religious freedom, will be felt everywhere in the country. We, as Tufts students, must recognize the gravity of the situation and assess it carefully.

It should also be noted that there was a Muslim prayer room inside the Twin Towers in the south tower. Muslim workers from all walks of life, whether they were construction workers at the World Trade Center, investment bankers, housekeeping assistants or traveling businessmen from foreign countries, came to pray daily inside the Twin Towers.

This illustrates the illogical nature of the protests, as many Muslims who were inside praying during the attacks were also killed.

--

Joshua Youner is a freshman who has not yet declared a major. He can be reached at Joshua.Youner@tufts.edu.