Clearly defined sexual assault policy imperative

Tufts' administration has seen recent criticism regarding the university's sexual assault policies. Some students and various campus organizations have chastised the current policies, under which students rarely face serious repercussions for sexual assault and harassment on campus, and the Tufts Community Union (TCU) Senate is working with Students Active for Ending Rape (SAFER) to make changes to the policies that are currently in place. Efforts to increase the severity of repercussions for sexual assault violations are extremely important, and the regulations need to be revised. However, in addition to efforts to create stricter penalties for perpetrators of sexual assault, it is equally important that the administration addresses the issue of the clarity of sexual assault policies.

Under the existing system, students who experience instances of sexual assault or other forms of violent or threatening behavior have few resources through which they can simply gather information. Victims of sexual crimes and those who have been targeted, harassed or stalked are often hesitant to come forward for fear of repercussions from their assailant. Currently, there is very little information posted on the Student Affairs Web site specifically defining sexual assault policies and delineating what will happen if a student reports a violation, and the information that is available is vague and primarily implies that punishment is case-specific. If a student wants to take action, he or she must report the instance in order to learn what specifically can be done. Students faced with the decision of either being put on the spot regarding an emotional experience during a meeting with an administrator or not reporting the crime at all may be less inclined to take action if these are their only options. There needs to be a specifically defined set of policies that is clearly stated online for all students to see so that those facing these decisions will know exactly what is in store for them.

Additionally, many of the policies are unclear. For example, the Student Affairs Web site lists a "stay-away order" as one of the potential repercussions for students who have violated the university's harassment or assault policies. However, it is not explicitly stated what this stay-away order entails. Students may seek a stay-away order, for example, not realizing that it offers little physical protection for the victim, as there is no distance requirement outlined by the university's stay-away order. Although more specific definitions are likely spelled out when students involved in such disputes meet with administrators, a general knowledge of the university's policies should not be something that a select few students learn of through experience; it should be ensured that every student on campus has full access to this information at all times.

Other universities, such as Bowdoin College, have such information available online, with several pages of clearly stated policies and potential repercussions for violators and courses of action that can be taken by victims. Compared to the extensive and detailed outline of similar policies on the Bowdoin Student Affairs Web site, Tufts' descriptions are confusing and vague. When a student is involved in a case as sensitive and personally traumatizing as that of sexual assault or harassment, the last thing he or she needs is to experience further uncertainty due to an ambiguous and unclear policy.

When reassessing its sexual assault regulations this spring, the administration should look not only at creating explicit policies, but also at ensuring that every student can access information about these policies at all times. There is no reason to have a Student Affairs Web site that defines students' rights if not to ensure that all students can access information and understand their options without ambiguity.