Letter to the Editor

Dear Editor,

In the Oct. 19 edition of The Tufts Daily, an editorial about the recent campus power failure reported incorrect information about safety and security systems in university residence halls. Regrettably, efforts to have the Daily correct those errors have been unsuccessful.

The editorial stated, "The lack of functioning fire alarms and smoke detectors was a significant issue." This assertion is incorrect. Fire alarm systems in residence halls include a battery back-up in the fire alarm panel and are designed to function as long as the battery remains charged. Had a pull station or smoke detector been activated during the campus power failure, the fire alarm warning devices would have sounded. One battery was found to be defective in a residence facility and was immediately replaced.

The editorial also stated, "If fires erupted with the alarms and smoke detectors idle, no one would have been swiftly alerted to escape the building and sprinklers would not have responded to extinguish the flames". This statement is not only incorrect, it is irresponsible. Sprinkler systems are mechanical in design and function upon the detection of heat. During the recent power outage, all sprinkler systems remained functional.

Lastly, the Daily reported that "the power failure prohibited fobs from working." The electronic-access control system also has its own battery back-up and during a power failure defaults to a secure mode. Propping of residence hall doors is never recommended under any circumstances.

Recognizing the security and safety challenges during the power outage, the university deployed additional Tufts University Police Department (TUPD) police and campus security officers, resident assistants and Tufts Emergency Medical Services members to patrol residence facilities, and 2-way radios were distributed to contact TUPD. Additionally, dozens of flashlights were also distributed during the power outage by TUPD personnel. We recommend that all students consider having a flashlight available in the event of a power outage. You can pick up a free key chain light by visiting the TUPD station in Dowling Hall.

The university continues to evaluate ways to prepare for and respond to various emergencies. We look forward to working with the Daily to provide helpful and accurate information to our community.

Sincerely,

John M. King
Senior Director of Public & Environmental Safety