Rwanda Vision 2020 and an emerging, active diaspora

Tufts University has been an active friend of Rwanda. In 2005, Tufts President Lawrence Bacow launched the Talloires Network, which has been dedicated to enhancing social responsibility in Rwanda, among other places, for the past four years. Last month, Tufts held Race4Rwanda, an event in which Rwandans living in Boston and their friends were able to participate. Tufts has been exemplary in terms of pushing for socio-economic development through initiatives and not just donations only.

Fifteen years after the genocide, Rwanda, a small landlocked country, has emerged as one of the leading developing sub-Saharan African nations. The World Bank recognized Rwanda in 2009 for its improvement in providing a business-friendly environment. A business investment hub, Rwanda has reformed investment, banking, construction, transportation, trade and information and technology. As Rwanda moves towards achieving its Vision 2020 goals, the diaspora population will play an intricate role in boosting socio-economic development.

As foreign investment is welcomed and pursued by the Rwanda Investment and Export Agency, so is investment by the Rwandan diaspora. Areas of business investment are booming in the country, but there are areas still in need of development, such as capacity building, education, civil society and societal empowerment within the Rwandan diaspora communities. Currently, they are over 10,000 professional Rwandans living in the diaspora whose expertise and knowledge are needed in Rwanda. The diaspora has been given first priority to invest in Rwanda. Opportunities range from low-interest loans for small businesses, facilitation for land acquirement and real estate purchases to first bids on capital market bonds.

Should we rely on the international community? Throughout history we have questioned the role of the citizen and government. English political philosopher John Locke argued that the government is only as powerful as its citizens; French philosopher Jean-Jacques Rousseau wrote about the concept of a social contract between citizens and their governments. Rwanda has aimed to provide its diaspora that same social contract and privilege. The development of the Diaspora Desk at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Rwanda aims to provide the diaspora with information on business investment, job opportunities and current events in Rwanda. It seeks to entice the Rwandan diaspora to be more active and strengthen its role in Rwanda economically, socially and politically.

Is it not the role of citizens to develop their nation? Through an active diaspora that invests in and questions the current events in Rwanda, the future of the country would not rely on donor organizations and government initiatives but rather on its active Rwandan citizens and the diaspora. John F. Kennedy said it best when he stated, "Ask not what your country can do for you, but ask what you can do for your country." As we move toward a prosperous Rwanda, the Rwanda Convention Association's (RCA) vision is to provide that bridge between Rwanda, foreign investors and the Rwandan Diaspora.

The RCA aims to provide a platform for investment in Rwanda by foreign investors and most importantly the diaspora. The RCA currently advocates strongly for youth leadership and education initiatives both in Rwanda and in the diaspora. Currently, as we look at Rwanda Vision 2020, we must also look at our youth. The RCA believes that through an educated, empowered and strong youth movement, Rwanda will be able to establish a strong workforce, promote civic leadership among high school and university students and most importantly mentor Rwanda's future leaders. The RCA further supports education development. Through a strong education system and civil society, Rwandan economic development, social development and capacity building will be advanced. Through the Rwandan diaspora's transfer of knowledge by project initiatives, joining the workforce and even capacity training, it is expected that the Economic Development Poverty Reduction Strategy will be complete by 2015.

In 2010, the Rwanda Convention will push to be the epicenter of the new age of Rwanda. As we move forward in the development of Rwanda we must not dwell on the past but look on how we can change, develop and strive towards achieving Rwanda's Millennium Development Goals. Consequently, the convention will provide investment opportunities in East Africa and promote education projects that will enable and strengthen capacity building, transfer of knowledge and youth leadership. It will further address the development of media in Rwanda and the impact of freedom of press on the development of a new democratic Rwanda.

As we enter the new year, it is time the African diaspora takes a step forward in the rebranding of Africa. Even though it is known for its poverty, wars, ethnic divisions and political corruption, the African continent is rich in resources, culture, history and beauty. As a result, the goal of the seventh annual RCA convention is to provide a platform for the Rwanda that has not been seen: a land of a thousand hills where investment is welcomed, tourism is booming and education is the future. The RCA will provide an arena for investment in banking, private sector, real estate and education.

Tomorrow's Rwanda does not rely only on donor organizations; it depends on foreign investors, as well as in Rwandans taking a leading role.

--

Urusaro Bakuramutsa is President of the Rwanda Convention Association.