Humanist chaplain could play important role

Adolescents often find themselves being pulled in two opposing directions: one toward belonging to a group and the other toward establishing a unique sense of self. In addition to academics, finding the correct balance between those two desires is an important part of a college student's education.

One such self-defining decision is choosing whether to become affiliated with a religious group, thereby enjoying benefits such as an established set of beliefs to rely on, a community in which to feel welcomed and a source of guidance for everyday problems. Today, however, the Daily reports that approximately one-third of current Tufts sophomores said in a survey last year that they had no religious affiliation, according to survey results provided by freshman Yulia Korovikov of the Tufts Freethought Society (TFS). It would be a wise step to hire a Humanist chaplain, who could provide guidance and even introduce a fresh sense of spirituality to students who are not members of any particular religion.

If Tufts does implement such a position, it will present the university with no small task: ensuring that students too secular to even consider crossing Goddard Chapel's threshold in most circumstances feel comfortable going — motivated to do so, even. What will serve as the bridge between the student body at large and this new, mysterious "chaplain?" Will he or she be affiliated with the TFS' already sizeable student population? Surely a well-planned outreach initiative would be needed to help this person infiltrate Tufts' secular population, largely accustomed to living in isolation from spiritual institutions.

Still, Humanism presents a very potent alternative to religion for secular students, in large part due to its emphasis on human rights and activism. While a multitude of community service organizations already exist on campus, a group that offers moral guidance and promotes ethical discourse without an emphasis on religion could fill a significant void at Tufts. If the university is willing to put a serious effort toward the initiative, the Daily is strongly in favor of the establishment of a Humanist chaplain.