Time for intolerance

On the evening of Sept. 16, a student in Hill Hall discovered a series of posters put up next to those of a candidate running for a Class of 2013 Tufts Community Union (TCU) Senate seat. The posters, belonging to a student [who] was not running for Senate, closely mimicked the ones of the actual candidate. The messages that each took, however, sharply diverged. Where the candidate's posters carried an ordinary-looking endorsement for  the coming Thursday's election, the other set of posters opened with the phrase "Squinty Eyes, Big Vision" and, phoneticizing the stereotypical Asian immigrant accent, called on students to "Prease vote me! I work rearry hard!"

We of the Asian Students Union condemn these posters as offensive, racist and uncalled for among a student body that prides itself on being as open-minded as Tufts' does. Not every Asian American has squinty eyes, and it is a misguided belief that every person appearing to be of Asian descent is a complete foreigner to this country. That these posters make light of language that has been historically used to exclude, alienate and hurt Asian Americans, especially many members of the Tufts population, represents a shocking lack of regard for fellow students that certainly impairs our efforts to build a strong community.

Whether the posters were created in jest or malice is not the question — regardless of their [creator's] intention, they left many of the students who saw them hurt and confused. This point is especially salient this early in the academic year, when many freshmen are still adjusting to Tufts and are unsure of how this new environment and community will receive them.

We want many things for these new Jumbos, but we certainly do not want them to feel that prejudice and mockery await them as their heritage on this campus.

We do not want any Asian American student [who] seeks to become a leader of the Tufts community to feel that others at Tufts, even other Asian Americans, will meet their aspirations with disdain and cynicism, as many feel these posters have communicated.

We want all of Tufts' students, freshman or upperclassman, Asian American or otherwise, to know that the leaders of the Asian American community find these posters offensive, demeaning and unacceptable, and that those who feel wronged by the poster are justified in their pain and anger.

Finally, we call on the Tufts administration to recognize the aforementioned posters and all similar ones as unwelcome in the Tufts community and to take steps to further educate the student population about the harmful effects of racism even when its bearers believe they have done no wrong or harm.

We recognize, however, the importance of debate and dialogue in the formation, education and awareness of peoples' racial and cultural identities. We also understand that political correctness is not to be taken for granted and can be challenged in a healthy and productive manner. These posters may have been meant to stimulate forms of debate, but the manner in which their intention was presented was crass and deplorable. We urge Tufts students who seek to promote discourse to be mindful of the sensitivities of their fellow students.

There is nothing in the posters that does not pander to stereotypical and mocking descriptions of Asians and thus, Asian Americans. These descriptions are ones which many who have gone before have given blood and sweat to [erase], and to flaunt them in such a manner shows an ignorance or disregard for the sensitivities and backgrounds of other students. We ask that each and every Tufts student will contribute to the safety of this community by not tolerating racism in any way, shape or form, regardless of where it comes from.

--

Robert Siy is a senior majoring in international relations. He serves on the TCU Senate as the community representative for the Asian Students Union.