A stronger generation

The Class of 2009 graduates today, and it has been through a lot of historic events. Back when we first entered high school in September 2001, in the wake of Sept. 11, we saw America come together like we haven't since to rally around the heroes who lost their lives that day. Back when we first arrived here at Tufts in 2005, New Orleans was experiencing the devastation of Hurricane Katrina, and our generation hosted students from the area and went down to Louisiana to help rebuild much of what was lost. And now, as we leave for the working world, military service and graduate school, we are in the midst of the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression. Our class has been through a lot, and we will certainly be through much more, but where many see signs of future despair, there is hope.

Looking at the current economic crisis, you'd be hard-pressed to find a consensus from economists as to what the global economy will look like when this Class of 2009 is leading the country 10, 20 and 30 years from now. Most of them agree that the American economy is on an unsustainable path of excessive borrowing and massive debt. America actually might not be the world's superpower when our generation is leading it, considering the projected growth and competition from economic giants like China and India. This generation will face the serious problem of broken entitlement systems like Social Security and Medicare. Current studies show that by the time the Class of 2009 is retiring, Social Security will be bankrupt. As we put our money into the system every week, we realize that without true reform, we will never see our money when we retire. According to the National Coalition on Health Care, 47 million Americans are without health care as of 2007, and today's graduating class will be asked to find the solutions to strengthen this country's health-care system, both in terms of quality and accessibility of service.

Not only does the United States face serious domestic concerns, but it also faces serious foreign policy concerns as the we commence on the next step of our lives today. Our generation is currently fighting wars in Iraq and Afghanistan; we face a nuclear North Korea, the threat of a nuclear Iran and the strong possibility that new weapons technologies could fall into the hands of terrorists. This ever-dangerous world will call for serious leadership in the coming years and one can be confident that this generation will provide it.

This Class of 2009 has been through a lot since we arrived at Tufts four years ago. Students traveled all over the world, working to solve serious problems like poverty and a lack of health care, and studied domestic and international issues and possible solutions. This class knocked on doors, made phone calls and performed other volunteerism in the most historic presidential election in American history, resulting in the election of our first African-American president. Some said they never thought that the United States would elect a black president, and this class did it in its senior year at Tufts. Finally, this class engaged in substantive discussions and debate with professors, fellow students and other staff here at Tufts, and developed their core beliefs that will guide their decision-making in the future. This generation has the potential to bend history, and the Class of 2009 is ready to face these historical and serious problems head-on. If the past is any indication, our generation is prepared and will lead a stronger America into greatness in an ever-changing world.

--

Daniel Hartman graduates today with degrees in economics and political science.