Acceptance, not condemnation

Sunday night's presentation of the Academy Awards was elegant, star-studded and epic. In other words, it was nothing out of the ordinary for an industry fueled by adoration and self-congratulation. Yet faced with a near-certain decrease in revenues resulting from the global economic downturn, the Academy did little to strengthen its bond with the American public aside from host Hugh Jackman's half-hearted joke about "scaling back" during the opening monologue.

But the most memorable moment of the night was Sean Penn's acceptance speech for his Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role award. His portrayal of Harvey Milk, America's first openly gay man to be elected to public office, struck audiences and critics as both effortless and inspiring, making "Milk" one of the most admired films of 2008. Though his speech rightly acknowledged the ongoing battle for equal rights in the state of California, his abrasive delivery likely alienated more viewers than it converted.

Though not very controversial in a room full of "Commie, homo-loving sons of guns," his statement, "I think it is a good time for those who voted for the ban against gay marriage to sit and reflect, and anticipate their great shame and the shame in their grandchildren's eyes if they continue that way of support," was instantly shocking for an audience expecting to see a display of gratitude and humility.

While Penn's socially conscious beliefs are admirable, his tone was altogether disappointing, largely because it served to undermine the message of his powerful performance. By reminding audiences of the courage and sacrifices made by one of America's great civil rights leaders, he gave Americans the appropriate historical context with which to view current issues such as California's Proposition 8. Even faced with an uninviting political system and prematurely killed by an assassin's bullet, Milk was able to convince otherwise hostile leaders and groups that securing equal rights for all citizens was worth the political risks through conviction, determination and sacrifice.

Now, 30 years later, California's gay community has suffered a setback. Proposition 8, which passed during November's general election, changed the state's constitution to define marriage as a union between a man and a woman. Some people who voted for the measure still identify themselves as "progressive," but the issue of gay marriage, to the dismay of Prop. 8's opponents, remains contentious across party lines.

But Penn and other supporters of gay marriage should not view this setback as a road block. The path toward equal rights has never taken, nor will it ever take, a linear path. Civil-rights triumphs often and expectedly ignite some amount of backlash. But to decry those hesitant to abandon their personal or religious values due to the general progression of history as viewed from Hollywood's ivory tower is at best unnecessary and at worst offensive.

Harvey Milk's famous opening line was easily the film's most memorable moment: "I'm Harvey Milk, and I'm here to recruit you." Penn should keep these words in mind and remember that persuasion is always more powerful than condemnation.