Cities and towns should spend wisely

As the federal government prepares to dole out $787 billion in stimulus money, $12 billion of which will go to Massachusetts, towns across the state are scrambling to put together project proposals in hopes of getting the biggest possible slice of the deal. While the influx of cash into local economies will certainly allow many towns to avoid massive layoffs — and in some cases, provide more jobs — and hopefully spur improvements in schools and infrastructure, local governments must ensure that the money is not used as a Band-Aid for persistent budget problems or for projects that will end up sucking more funds from the state once the stimulus money runs out.
    It appears that many Massachusetts towns plan to spend their piece of the stimulus money wisely, for which we at the Daily commend them. It must be emphasized, however, that using the money to invest in projects that will require more money to maintain than the state will be able to provide once the flood of stimulus money has ebbed, or to fill in discrepancies in the town budget, would have decidedly negative long-term consequences and would distract the state from other well-needed projects.
    Much of the stimulus money should be directed toward infrastructure improvement, a strategy that, as we learned in the Great Depression, does an effective job of creating many jobs relatively quickly and having a lasting positive impact on the community. Investment in improving roadways and schools, refurbishing the older areas of certain towns and encouraging the construction of new buildings are all viable and wise options for local governments to consider. While the jobs created by these avenues would not, unfortunately, be permanent, they would, however, provide at least temporary income for many people — hopefully enough to tide them over until the economy begins to move in a positive direction again. These investments would also encourage future businesses to open in local communities, whether now or in more conducive economic times.
    While it most certainly is true that any project, whether it be roads, schools or new buildings, will require money from the town and its residents, their overall benefit in terms of both jobs and future use make them worthwhile investments in both the long and the short term.
    Somerville would feel the benefits of newer roads (for those of us now accustomed to the bumpy Joey excursions down to Davis Square) and transportation systems that would make the town more navigable and all around easier to manage. The development of Assembly Square would provide numerous stores, which would provide jobs, and hopefully bring a newer and cleaner face to an area of the town is otherwise rather under-utilized.
    A sudden influx of stimulus money will create a unique opportunity for improvement and development across the state, but it must be used carefully and precisely in order to confer the greatest amount of benefits.