Groundbreaking civil-military dialogue at Tufts

The incoming Obama administration will face a tremendous variety of foreign policy challenges. In Iraq, the president will have to translate temporary improvements in security into lasting political and economic progress. In Afghanistan, he will inherit a war with an ascendant Taliban presence and no clear path to victory. Pakistan teeters on the edge of destabilization by violent extremists who would seek to take possession of that country's nuclear arsenal. China is flexing its muscles in East Asia; the U.S.-sponsored Ethiopian invasion of Somalia has generated millions of refugees and a thriving piracy industry there; drug gangs threaten the government of Mexico and have drifted north of the border; and the list goes on.

All these different challenges have one thing in common: Successful crisis management will require robust civil-military relations, both in Washington's halls of power and in the field. Nearly every aspect of U.S. foreign policy is affected by the U.S. armed forces, arguably the largest single institution in the world. Whether you are pro- or anti-war, a Democrat or Republican, a pacifist or an interventionist, a thorough understanding of America's engagement with the world requires a thorough understanding of the U.S. military.

Unfortunately, at Tufts we seldom have the opportunity to interact with individuals in uniform. Students may see ROTC cadets walking to class, but that is the extent to which the vast majority of our campus population encounters the armed forces. To try and change this -- and to foster interactions between two worlds that do not normally meet -- the Alliance Linking Leaders in Education and the Services (ALLIES) held its annual Intellectual Roundtable in October 2007.

ALLIES is a student-led initiative that started at the Tufts Institute for Global Leadership and has now put down roots in the Air Force, Military and Naval Academies. Through a combination of attending one others' conferences, participating in crisis-simulation exercises and joint research projects, this innovative group fulfills an aspect of leadership development -- a command of civil-military relations -- that is beneficial for any citizen but essential for anyone who seeks to serve an informed and successful U.S. foreign policy. By targeting future leaders during their formative undergraduate years, ALLIES helps prepare them in a forward-looking manner. As the initiative grows to include more schools and students, this investment in the future will prove more cost-effective than reorienting mid-career professionals toward an emerging whole-of-government environment.

The Intellectual Roundtable is now in its second year and has both catalyzed the development of the organization and come to represent the inclusive spirit of ALLIES. As it did previously, this roundtable included a host of leaders and professionals from the civilian and military sides of foreign policy. Cadets, midshipmen and faculty from the military service academies, state department officials, researchers from educational institutions -- such as Harvard, Tufts and the Naval Postgraduate School and other civilian and military professionals from the Department of Defense -- joined ALLIES students at this gathering.

Through a combination of panels and discussions, this very diverse group contributed to everyone's education and laid the groundwork for future relationships. Panels addressed such topics as the pros and cons of cooperation between the Department of Defense and academic social scientists and how the international community can help reform the security sectors of weak and potentially unstable governments abroad.

But what really distinguishes the event is the roundtable format. Discussions of a topic, such as how to increase citizens' -- especially civilians' -- sense of responsibility during times of war, occur in small groups around the room. Each table seats four to eight people, the composition of which is meant to be a microcosm of the event as a whole. So, for example, one table might host one student each from Tufts and the three service academies, along with officials from the State and Defense Departments. The table to their left could be having a discussion on the same topic, between students, government researchers and faculty from the world of academia. In this way, ideas on how to increase civil-military cooperation can be recorded and incorporated into future ALLIES events, and the organization itself builds an increasingly cohesive and representative network.

But why is all of this important? Our two current wars are the perfect example. We came into the conflicts with a military highly specialized in waging conventional war -- and in that part of the operations we succeeded swiftly. But we simply did not conduct the planning and coordination needed to wage the peace. Yes, the U.S. military has waged counter-insurgencies in the past, but Iraq and Afghanistan have emphasized the unique needs of such complex operations on an unprecedented scale. It is clear that military operations must be supported by, or perhaps even support, political efforts in this environment.

As noted in Thomas Ricks' powerful book on the Iraq war, "Fiasco: The American Military Adventure in Iraq" (2006), there is a pronounced difference between fighting the insurgents and fighting the insurgency -- the latter requires integration of military and civilian efforts, with a focus away from kinetic operations, toward greater cultural understanding and community work. Without anthropologists, historians and political experts, military work will not have a lasting positive impact.

What happens when civilian and military leaders actually do understand each other? "Fiasco" also provides a telling case study. When the two arms of national power were integrated in Iraq, counter-insurgency strategy worked. Ricks describes the efforts of Lt. Gen. George Casey, the former commanding general of the Multi-National Force in Iraq, as follows: "In the summer of 2004, his greatest contribution appears to have been ... his work to ensure that henceforth the U.S. civilian and military efforts would cooperate rather than clash." Yet, during the same conflict, numerous instances of tension and lack of understanding have set accomplishments back, ignored local customs and, most tragically, cost the lives of Americans and Iraqi civilians.

The military will inevitably continue to play an integral role in facing the challenges before our nation. Adapting to today's missions -- whether they are fighting the Taliban in Afghanistan or distributing humanitarian assistance in Africa -- requires sincere cooperation on all sides. Where the military's vast logistical capacity is called upon to distribute peaceful services to tragedy-stricken countries, an understanding of military roles and responsibilities will even aid NGOs and relief workers in conducting their work separately from, but not in conflict with, armed forces.

ALLIES and the Intellectual Roundtable represent a first step toward making all of these relationships productive ones. ALLIES events and membership are free and open to all, so if you are intrigued by the chance to engage in the future of public service before leaving Tufts, we look forward to welcoming you aboard.

--

James Nadel is a senior majoring in International Relations. Bruce Ratain is a sophomore majoring in political science.