Emergency care has no language

Among its diverse offerings, the ExCollege introduced a new course this semester entitled "Medical Spanish." The class, which is aimed at students considering careers in medicine, interpretation and social work, focuses on the specific vocabulary and skills necessary to translate between doctors and Spanish-speaking patients in emergency situations. During a time when immigration continues to be a hot political topic, this course acknowledges that, despite policy implications, all people who enter an emergency room, regardless of their native tongue, should receive the appropriate level of treatment.
    While many Americans decry the use of bilingual signs and other tactics used to aid non-English speakers, this class has been greeted with enthusiasm from the Tufts community.        
    And that's a good thing.
    Aside from English, Spanish is the most common language in the United States. As part of the 2000 Census, 28.1 million people living in the country indicated they spoke Spanish; just over half of them reported the ability to speak English "very well." The number of Spanish speakers has undoubtedly swelled, as immigrants from Latin American countries continue to settle in the United States. And in the case of medical care, this linguistic barrier can be the difference between life and death.
    It is important to remember that this barrier also applies to legal residents and citizens, many of whom speak English well.  When faced with the frightening reality of a medical emergency, most people would feel best expressing themselves in their native language. Especially given the technicalities required for an accurate diagnosis, we should leave open as many options as possible.
    Still,  classes like this certainly benefit undocumented immigrants as well. But while many argue that we should not cater to such immigrants — many of whom receive emergency-room care without paying taxes — that does not negate the fact that medical professionals  across the country are obligated to treat all patients equally and often lack the language skills to do so effectively. Something is obviously wrong with this situation, and proactive measures are a must.
    Some say that undocumented immigrants take advantage of the medical system, waiting until their situations require emergency treatment that they can get for free. But so  do countless American citizens who cannot afford health insurance. Either way, ignoring the reality of the situation doesn't make it disappear, especially in cities like El Paso, Texas, where 74 percent of the population speaks Spanish at home.
    Although most Americans consider English to be their native language, the United States remains without an official language — and for good reason. Throughout its history, the country has been heralded as a melting pot, one in which all people, regardless of their native languages, have been accepted into the population. Courses that focus on medical Spanish reflect the type of cultural fluidity that has come to define our country, while also allowing it to adjust to the times. Isn't that what a Tufts education is all about?