The power of the purse strings

For some, Tufts' relationship with local communities is defined by the blare of loud party music and the more-than-occasional ambulance siren. But behind the scenes, the situation is much less strained. Jumbos have a history of being active in Medford and Somerville, and the university has recently complemented this service by reaching into its pocketbook to help local governments make it through a tenuous financial situation. While we respect arguments that the money could have been better used on the Hill, we support the university's decision, as it will allow for the continuation of important public services.

Specifically, Tufts has agreed to give Medford $500,000 to help the city eliminate the $2.4 million debt it had at the end of the last fiscal year. The university also forgave Somerville a rent increase worth around $500,000. In addition, Tufts is in the process of separately contributing $1.25 million each to Medford and Somerville over 10 years.

In Medford's case, the city government owed $1.5 million in health-care costs; snow and ice removal also led to more expenditures than expected during last year's harsh winter. This debt has put the city in a situation  between a rock and a hard place, since neither raising local property taxes nor laying off civil servants provided an appealing way to meet health-care and pension obligations.

Laying off city workers would force the suspension of vital services, and upping taxes would place additional financial hardships on local residents, possibly causing some community members to relocate.

Meanwhile, Tufts' tax-exempt status gives the university the option of freeriding while our neighbors suffer. Medford and Somerville fire departments protect Tufts and respond to the university's fire alarms. The local police departments deal with Tufts students, breaking up off-campus parties and keeping the peace. At Fall Ball and Naked Quad Run, local hospitals treat intoxicated students for alcohol poisoning.

What Tufts does not pay in taxes for these services, we should give back in other areas. This is not to say that these are apology funds, given to substitute money for actual efforts to correct the occasionally strained town-gown relations. Instead, the agreement's roots are in the university's dedication to active citizenship and community service. At the same time, though, we should be conscious of the fact that we have — at least in theory — some debt to Medford and Somerville for the services that they provide us.

Many students may legitimately question the university's decision to give away the money. The administration frequently talks about how extensive the fundraising process had to be in order to go need-blind, not to mention the fact that the university passed along rising costs to families via a tuition increase this year. But while every dollar is crucial to Tufts' bottom line, the university's budget can easily accommodate the extra spending. Also, Tufts has numerous construction projects planned for the upcoming years, and the support of the local governments is crucial to the success of these endeavors.

The university, however, should not be a financial crutch for Medford and Somerville. Our host communities cannot depend on Tufts to balance their budgets whenever they fall into a deficit. While the cities need Tufts' help to fix their current financial problems, this would not be sustainable if it were an annual occurrence.

Ultimately, Tufts' recent promises represent a welcome financial component of our commitment to active citizenship and to the assurance of quality local services. For those reasons above all others, we feel that the commitments are more than worthwhile.