Tufts should be wary in policing direct-connect file sharing

The news that the university has shut down DC++, the intra-Tufts peer-to-peer file-sharing program, is undoubtedly a disappointment to many students who enjoy the benefits - however illegal - of free music downloads. It also marks a drastic policy change for the Tufts administration from passive to active policing of student downloading.

This change should concern students whether they download using DC++ or not.

As we have expressed in past editorials, the Daily does not support illegal downloading. Artists should be compensated for their intellectual property.

However, the Daily does not support the Recording Industry Association of America's (RIAA) methods of prosecuting students by slapping them with such large fines that no one will take the chance of fighting in court. Methods of prosecution that effectively prevent cases from going to the courts make a mockery of our judicial system.

The Direct Connect system is a somewhat different case. In the past, Tufts has only been passing on the RIAA's message, acting in compliance with the RIAA's methods in a passive capacity. (This is the same way in which almost every university in the country has acted, with the notable exception of Harvard, which has publicly stated that it refuses to turn its students over to the RIAA and has not been served with a single subpoena yet.)

Tufts has not actively sought out those students illegally downloading. Such a task would not only require resources that Tufts does not have, but would also be beyond the scope of the University's responsibilities or duties. University Information Technology is not here to baby-sit students or make sure that all their activities on the Web are morally sound.

With the policing of the Direct Connect network, Tufts has changed its methods. As a closed, Tufts-only network, DC++ downloads could not be monitored by the RIAA. It is unprecedented behavior for Tufts to close down the DC++ network rather than simply respond to individual student subpoenas.

When responding to complaints in the past, Tufts did not take action by preventing access to Limewire or torrent programs on its server. Shutting down Direct Connect is a radical change from the university's previous behavior, and we at the Daily are understandably wary. Policing computer programs is only a small step away from blocking Web sites or Internet content, a dangerous form of censorship.

Students should be granted the freedom to do as they wish on their own computers. Should they pursue illegal online activities, be they file sharing or anything else, the responsibility to deal with the repercussions should lie on their own shoulders - not those of the administration.