Here's to a happy, more tolerant new year

As the last seconds of 2006 ticked away, many were eager to put an end to the year. The ravages of war, suffering and intolerance left deep impressions across the world. While the onset of 2007 affords the opportunity to renew and forge ahead, we should not simply forget the past; instead, we should take the opportunity to take a stand on the issues that divided us on this campus to start the year with a new direction.

By now, the events of December may seem as stale as Santa's leftover cookies, as the outrage over The Primary Source's carol has had ample time to cool. While the TV cameras and opportunities for 15 seconds of showboating on local TV have ended, the very real question of how to move forward still remains. Over the break, campus administration took further steps toward fostering a campus environment that allows for the free exchange of ideas and cultures but also protects the diversity that makes such an exchange even possible.

The appointment of Lisa Coleman to the position of Executive Director for Institutional Diversity is a positive step to ensure a university community that appreciates the talents and perspectives of all its members and institutions across disciplines.

Dean of Admissions Lee Coffin and President Bacow further outlined their positions on diversity in a letter to students and parents.

The administration has made its views clear, taking concrete steps to ensure that diversity of all kinds will be valued in the fabric of the university. However, there is only so much that official titles and institutions can do to move beyond the events of last semester. Ultimately, however, it is the students who will have to take the lead in creating a meaningful dialogue about the university's commitment to diversity.

Before the semester ended, Tufts students seized the initiative to address Tufts' diversity climate in a discussion aimed at moving forward in the aftermath of the Source carol. As we continue those efforts, a note of caution is necessary. Too often discussions of diversity turn inward. There is a time for celebrating what makes us different and a time for understanding what bonds us together. At times, attempts at nurturing diversity dwell on the former. This would be a mistake. Key to a new understanding and appreciation of diversity is the acceptance of viewpoints, ideas and people with whom we do not agree.

A national university with students from different backgrounds from across the country and the world exposes everyone to ample opportunities to learn more about our fellow students, the country and the world. There is no better place to appreciate the contributions a diverse collection of people and ideas than Tufts. It would be a shame to waste that opportunity.

In this brand new year, the Daily hopes that all members of the Tufts community will take a moment to pause and reflect upon the shortcomings of 2006 and the opportunities in 2007 to rectify them. A community committed to embracing all its members regardless of background must constantly seek ways to include rather than exclude. All the efforts to create a dialogue about diversity must center on this idea.

So, as we begin a new year and a new semester, now seems like the perfect time to build upon the mistakes of the past. With a sturdy foundation in place to support diversity, let's hope our efforts in 2007 make the events of 2006 look like distant history.