Sex, lies and red tape prevent political openness

Although talk of civil liberties, evil countries, nuclear weapons and capital punishment sounds especially pertinent in 2006, these are some of the same issues that plagued the United States in 1953. In his lecture, "McCarthy Era: Lessons for Bush's America" Robert Meeropol, son of executed Ethel and Julius Rosenberg, discussed the parallels between the two periods. It takes only a brief glance at Tuftslife.com to infer that although things today may be politically analogous to the situation the Rosenbergs faced, much has changed both culturally and socially in the past 50 years.

The most blatant contrast between 1953 and 2006 can be witnessed through the seats in Barnum 008. During Meeropol's 6:00 p.m. lecture, barely half the seats were filled (and many with individuals who remember the execution), yet just three and a half hours later, it was impossible to find even standing room for "The Female Orgasm." This discrepancy is noteworthy not only as a commentary on the interests of many members of the Tufts community (especially curious and unembarrassed males), but also as a marker of the changing environment on campus and in American society; such sexual openness and discussion was unheard of 50 years ago and was still taboo until recently.

At this point, civil liberties during wartime in the Bush presidency may be even more taboo than the female orgasm. The administration's suggestion that Americans must choose between their civil liberties and 'security' creates a stifling zero-sum framework which prevents an honest conversation about the possibilities of compromise. This silences widespread criticism of many policies which, carried out in the name of 'security' simultaneously violate civil rights.

Such a reality, in fact, spurred Meeropol to open his lecture with a note of only cautious optimism following the Democratic takeover of Congress, citing the absence of Democrats' commitment to "rolling back the assault on civil liberties" as one of their priorities in the first 100 days as troubling; he believes they are afraid to look "soft on terrorism." Meeropol further suggested that, as in the era of McCarthyism, we live in an age where the "Bill of Rights and the Constitution are controversial." Just like in 1953, issues of civil liberties are again taboo.

Sex, however is not. If one contrasts the abundance of sex in American media with the secretive nature in which U.S. political prisoners are treated around the world, it is no surprise that Jumbos are more comfortable discussing the female orgasm. There is little parallel between the media in the 1950s and the media today; men and women weren't even shown in the same bedroom together.

This change during the last 50 years reflects a growing openness among members of American society as tolerance of differing backgrounds and perspectives has increased. In fact, many Americans today might feel more secure standing on a street corner in New York City and shouting "I love female orgasms" than "Impeach Bush! Stop illegal wiretapping!" Both statements would have been very taboo in the 1950s, though the second would have advocated something more along the lines of "Stop McCarthy! Save the Rosenbergs!"

Observations of such political continuity and social change are both reassuring and frightening simultaneously, yet such reflection on the nature of our continuing political and weakening social taboos is important if we are to fully break them. Open discussion of all issues is the only way to bring about progress; Jumbos should keep this in mind during our time on and off the Hill.