Tufts student Shubha Debnath passes away unexpectedly

Shubha Debnath, a sophomore in the School of Arts and Sciences, passed away unexpectedly on Saturday, according to an email sent to the community Saturday night by University President Anthony Monaco and other members of the Tufts administration.

Debnath, who came to Tufts as a first-generation student, was an active member of the Tufts community. A community volunteer and member of the Bengali Association at Tufts, Debnath was described by his suitemates as “a brilliant and loyal friend, possessing a lightning-quick mind and an extraordinary wealth of information to engage nearly any topic,” according to the email.

“We know that Shubha’s sudden passing will be felt deeply by the many students, faculty, and staff he met during his time at Tufts,” the authors of the email wrote. “Thank you for joining us as we extend our deep compassion to Shubha’s friends, and our sincerest, most heartfelt condolences to his family.”

The authors of the email invited Tufts students to join in a gathering of support and reflection at the Interfaith Center at 3 p.m. on Sunday, Feb. 24. The authors of the email encouraged community members to reach out to mental health resources at the university, including Counseling and Mental Health Services (CMHS), the Counselor-On-Call and the Chaplain-On-Call, which are available after hours over the weekend. They also presented other resources available to students, faculty and staff.

Resources available on campus include: