Police Briefs — Week of Sept. 10

Vandals On September 4 at 9:30 a.m., Tufts University Police Department (TUPD) received a report that a Facilities Services’ van had been broken into. Power tools worth an estimated $1,200 were taken from the van, which was parked behind Bray Lab, the window had been smashed on the driver's side. The theft is still under investigation.

Don't leak out At around 3:00 p.m. the same day, TUPD officers responded to a call at Latin Way that a motor scooter was leaking fuel. TUPD confirmed the scooter was leaking and attempted to determine the scooter's owner, but it was unregistered. TUPD cleaned the fuel leak and had the scooter towed; it has yet to be claimed.

Sparks fly On September 5 at 12:34 p.m., TUPD responded to a report of a sparking electrical line at 98 Professors Row, the Delta Tau Delta (DTD)fraternity house. The line was said to be smoldering and had started a small brush fire, but the fire extinguished itself. Residents were asked to evacuate while the problem was handled. Somerville Fire Department, TUPD and the DTD house manager shut down the power to the house's electrical circuit breaker, while Eversource Energy repaired the damage. The house was later declared safe to occupy and residents were allowed back in.

Raise the roof Later that day at 3:25 p.m., TUPD received a call from a resident at 90-94 Curtis Street whose first floor bedroom ceiling had collapsed. Tufts Environmental Health and Safety (TEHS) evaluated the situation, and Facilities Services responded and addressed the problem. The resident's ceiling was repaired and restored.

Only you can prevent office theft On September 7 at 2:20 p.m., TUPD received a call from an employee at the Science and Technology Center who had witnessed an unknown person enter a workspace and attempt to take an unattended wallet. The employee confronted the individual, who dropped the wallet and fled. The person of interest was described by the employee as a younger, slightly chubby man with a beard. TUPD searched the immediate vicinity but was unable to locate anyone matching the description; the attempted theft is still under investigation. TUPD would like to remind all community members to report any suspicious activity they witness.