Events on the Hill: Week of 10/16

Monday

“From Love Canal to Flint: Fighting for Clean Water”

Details: Environmental activist Lois Gibbs and toxicologist Stephen Lester will speak about environmental activism as part of the Civic Life Lunch series at Tisch College of Civic Life. The two are famous for fighting for the community of Love Canal, NY, a town built on a toxic waste dump.

When and Where: 12 p.m.; Rabb Room, Tisch College

“Art and Immigration: One Artist / Several Paths”

Details: The Fall 2017 Knaster Artist-in-Residence Wen-ti Tsen will discuss the politics of immigration and how his art expresses the immigrant experience. The Center of the Humanities at Tufts-sponsored lecture will be followed by a reception and tour of Tsen’s exhibits.

When and Where:4:30 p.m.; Alumnae Lounge

Tuesday

Dr. John Park on North Korea

Details:Dr. John Park, a North Korea expert who directs the Korea Working Group and is an adjunct professor at the Harvard Kennedy School, will discuss North Korean nuclear policy. The event is cosponsored by Tufts Sino-U.S. Relations Group Engagement (SURGE) and the John Quincy Adams Society of Medford/Somerville.

When and Where: 7 p.m.; Crane Room

Wednesday

“Ladino Culture and Literature”

Details: Professor Devin Naar of the University of Washington will discuss the rise and fall of Ladino language, culture and literature; Ladino is a once-widely spoken Sephardic Jewish and Spanish language. Sephardic food will be served. The event has many sponsors, including the Department of International Literary and Cultural Studies and Tufts Hillel. 

When and Where:7 p.m.; Laminan Lounge, Olin Language Center

Thursday

"Life, Lust and Liquor: How House of Cards Wrote Itself"

Details: Michael Dobbs (F '77), British politician and author of the "House of Cards" book series which inspired the popular television show, will give a talk at The Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy.

When and Where: 5:30 p.m.; Ginn Library Reading Room

Friday

“Reworking Labor”

Details: This year’s Tufts Graduate Humanities Conference will feature students from across the country sharing research on the theme of “Reworking Labor.The keynote address will be given by Ann Stoler, professor of anthropology and historical studies at The New School for Social Research.

When and Where: 8 a.m.–7 p.m.; Breed Memorial Hall, 51 Winthrop St.