Events on the Hill – Week of April 10

MONDAY

Federalism in the Era of Climate Change

Details: Samantha Medlock, former senior advisor for the White House Office of Management and Budget and deputy director for climate preparedness of the White House Council on Environmental Quality during President Barack Obama‘s tenure, will speak about the role of the federal government in climate change and natural disaster planning.

Where and When: Barnum 104; 6:30 p.m.

Sponsor: Department of Political Science

TUESDAY

Tufts-SEI Nexus Symposium

Details: The Tufts Institute of the Environment (TIE) and Stockholm Environmental Institute (SEI) are celebrating 10 years of partnership with a series of speeches and panel discussions about environmental issues. The speakers include University President Anthony Monaco, TIE Director Linda Abriola, Economics Professor Ujjayant Chakravorty and Professor of Economics and Food Policy Beatrice Lorge Rogers.

Where and When: Alumnae Lounge; 1 – 6 p.m.

Sponsors: TIE and SEI

Advocacy After Hours

Details: Generation Citizen and the Jonathan M. Tisch College of Civic Life will host a panel discussion and activities fair featuring a number of student groups and activists. The panel discussion will include Massachusetts gubernatorial candidate Jay Gonzalez.

Where and When: Hotung Cafe; 8:30 p.m.

Sponsors: Tisch College and Generation Citizen

WEDNESDAY

12th Annual Murrow Forum, featuring Lester Holt

Details: Lester Holt, the primary anchor of NBC Nightly News, will speak at Tufts for the 12th annual Edward R. Murrow Forum on Issues in Journalism. Free tickets for the event are available at the Cohen Auditorium Box Office.

Where and When: Cohen Auditorium; 12 p.m.

Sponsors: Tisch College, Film and Media Studies Program and Edward R. Murrow Center for a Digital World at The Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy

Harvey Sapolsky on Foreign Policy Restraint

Details: Harvey Sapolsky, a professor emeritus of public policy and organization at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) and former director of MIT’s Security Studies Program, will lay out a vision for a restrained U.S. foreign policy.

Where and When: Braker 223; 8 p.m.

Sponsor: John Quincy Adams Society of Medford/Somerville

THURSDAY

Town Hall Meeting with Anthony Monaco

Details: University President Anthony Monaco will give a presentation about the current state of Tufts, followed by time for audience questions. This follows similar town hall meetings on the Grafton and Boston campuses.

Where and When: ASEAN Auditorium; 3:30 p.m.

Sponsor: Office of the President

Reproductive Health Today and Tomorrow

Details: TuftScope Journal will host a panel to discuss the current state of the reproductive health field and future medical and ethical prospects, particularly given the current political climate.

Where and When: ASEAN Auditorium; 7:30 p.m.

Sponsor: TuftScope Journal

FRIDAY

Spring Student Anthropology Symposium

Details: Tufts students will discuss various topics in the field of anthropology over the course of five panels. The event will open with introductions by Dean of Academic Affairs Joseph Auner and Assistant Professor of Anthropology Alex Blanchette.

Where and When: Cabot 703; 1 – 4:30 p.m.

Sponsor: Department of Anthropology