Police Briefs – April 7

Crash Course

The Tufts University Police Department (TUPD) received a report of a motor vehicle accident on campus at 6:14 p.m. on March 30. A bicycle rider had collided with a parked car when someone in the car opened the rear passenger door. Both sides exchanged information to reach an agreement on payment of any property damage. No one involved was injured but the front wheel of the bicycle was twisted.

Back-End Bumper

On March 30 at 7:02 p.m. a Tufts employee reported to TUPD that his vehicle had been damaged. The dark grey car was parked in Cousens’ lot close to the stairs. It had been hit and there was some damage on the back right side of the car. There were scrapes and it appeared that white paint had transferred from another car, likely the one that had hit it. The employee was advised on how to file a claim with his insurance company. It is unknown who hit the car.

Pub Problems

A student called TUPD requesting medical attention at The Foundry on Elm Street at 2 a.m. on April 1. The student reported that she had fallen outside while trying to get into her Uber and had a small laceration on her face. TUPD officers and the Somerville Fire Department went to the scene. She was checked over and then transferred to the care of the fire department.

When the Clock Strikes Midnight…

TUPD officers went to conduct a compliance check on April 1 at 12:30 a.m. on an event scheduled that evening and found multiple violations. An Applejam concert was scheduled in the Crane Room that night, and was supposed to end at midnight.

When the officers came to check on the event they heard music and observed vehicles parked at the Academic Quad where they also found alcohol. The event was not supposed to have vehicles parked outside it or alcohol present. The music shut down and the participants agreed to clean the room. Attendees stated that some people had brought their own alcohol.

Dark-Hour Dangers

A student stated that he was walking home from Davis Square down College Avenue when two males followed him and tried to take his backpack. He reported the incident to TUPD at 1:42 a.m. on April 2.

The student reported that two males followed him from about a block-and-a-half of distance, and eventually noticed that they were directly behind him. While one attempted to take his backpack by grabbing the strap, the other said “You’re okay, you’re okay,” to him. He managed to get away and keep his property. The incident is being investigated by the Somerville Police Department with the assistance of TUPD, and a timely warning email about the incident was sent out.

Too Close for Comfort

A student reported inappropriate advances and questions from an Uber driver when she was getting a ride to Mayer Campus Center. After she was dropped off she informed her friends about the incident. One of the friends later noticed the man walking around Campus Center. TUPD contacted Uber about the driver and the man has been banned from campus.

Laptop Larceny

On April 4, there were two separate reports of stolen laptops at Tisch Library. The first report came in at 12:06 p.m. about a student who had stepped away for awhile and came back to find their laptop missing. The second similar report was filed shortly after by another student. TUPD has a lead on the case and is working with other colleges to identify at least two suspects who are believed to have stolen at other campuses as well.