First-year student unexpectedly dies Saturday morning

First-year Alex Bhak passed away in downtown Boston early on the morning of Saturday, April 2, according to an email sent to the Tufts community by University President Anthony Monaco, Dean of the School of Arts and Sciences James Glaser, Dean of the School of Engineering Jianmin Qu, Dean of Student Affairs Mary Pat McMahon and University Chaplain The Reverend Greg McGonigle. 

According to the email, the details related to Bhak's death are currently under investigation.

Bhak, a student in the School of Arts and Sciences, was part of a close-knit community at the university, the authors explained.

"His parents and friends say he loved being at Tufts, and we know his sudden passing will be deeply felt by those who knew and loved this bright and talented young man," they wrote.

The authors added that there will be additional communication to the community in the coming days as details regarding plans to honor Bhak are solidified.

The authors of the email also noted that Counseling and Mental Health Services (CMHS) will be available for this week Monday to Friday, from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. at the Counseling Center, and were available on Monday from 10 a.m. to noon. They also listed resources in the Office of Student Affairs, the University Chaplaincy Office, the Tufts University Police Department and elsewhere within the university.