Two cases of mumps confirmed in regional virus outbreak

Two cases of mumps among Tufts students have been confirmed this week, along with one additional suspected case, according to Medical Director of Health Service Margaret Higham.

The viral illness is characterized by a painful swelling of the jaw, according to a health announcement sent to the university community on March 14 by Higham, Stephen Larson, director of Environmental Health and Safety, and Mary Pat McMahon, dean of Student Affairs.

Mumps is a mild virus that tends to last between three and four days and requires isolation from other people for approximately five days, Higham said, noting that the illness is spread through infected respiratory droplets, including sneezes, coughs and sharing drinks. She noted that there is no treatment or medication for the virus.

Higham also added that many of the cases are concentrated within the Greek community.

"Some of these cases have been associated with fraternity organizations, and we are continuing to work with the members of this community to raise awareness of risks and precautionary measures," she and McMahon wrote to the Tufts community yesterday in an email update.

These diagnoses have come along with an outbreak of the virus among colleges and universities in the New England area, Higham said, noting that the link between these cases across the region is currently unknown. However, she noted that the illness is easily spread on college campuses because most students received vaccinations as young children, which may have partially worn off at this point in their lives.

"Mumps is something that's been showing up in college campuses for several decades now," she said. "[It is] more commonly seen on college campuses than in other settings, presumably because it takes prolonged closed contact. And I think in college settings there's more prolonged closed contact than in most other areas of people's lives."

She noted that the virus has never been a problem on the Medford/Somerville campus in her more than 15 years of working at the university.

While many viral outbreaks occur on college campuses, Higham noted that people are particularly surprised when mumps outbreaks occur because the vast majority of students are vaccinated against the illness, as mandated by state law. However, she explained that vaccines are only about 90 percent effective against the illness and that they become less effective as time progresses.

She noted that vaccinated individuals often experience milder forms of the illness, such as only being affected on one side of the face, rather than on both sides of the face.

McMahon encouraged students to take the necessary precautions if they are worried that they might be infected.

“While mumps might be mild in many students, we want anyone experiencing symptoms to go to the Health Service as much for other people in the community, including those who are immunocompromised or pregnant, as for themselves,” she wrote to the Daily in an email.